What would be the best way to send and receive Mp3 files of several gigs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
With sheltering in place I am looking at my music hobby as one of the ways to pass the time.

What would be the best way to send and receive Mp3 files of several Gigs via using the internet?

I have a music file containing 1108 songs that uses 5.07 Gigs that I want to send to my brother. I use the highest possible quality setting but variable when I ripped them and apparently the "Express Rip" program I used is much more efficient than the one my brother used. I do not know how many songs he has to send to me but he said it would not fit on a 28 Gig flash drive, but does fit on a 64 Gig.

What is the best and easiest to use method to send and receive fairly large files on the internet?

Thanks in advance.

Stay safe.

For 5 gb, Google drive maybe? Assuming google doesnt flag it as some kind of a copyright infringment...

If you pay for extra storage, you'd be able to send that 28gb archive as well.

Here are some other (paid)cloud storage solutions:

https://www.pcmag.com/picks/the-best-cloud-storage-and-file-sharing-services

Alternatively, you could set up an FTP server on your computer and allow another person to access it, but that's a bit more involved. FileZilla comes to mind, but it would require opening the right ports on your router.

Odds are both of you have typical upload speeds of 10Mb/s or maybe 20Mb/s and while you may be able to download stuff rather quickly, it will take a very, very long time to upload 5 gb or 28+ gb of data. So, IMO, there's no good way to transfer these. I'd stick to flash drives.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Odds are both of you have typical upload speeds of 10Mb/s or maybe 20Mb/s and while you may be able to download stuff rather quickly, it will take a very, very long time to upload 5 gb or 28+ gb of data. So, IMO, there's no good way to transfer these. I'd stick to flash drives.

At 10 Mbps, upolading of 28 GB should take about 7 hours. Just start it before you go to bed, and it'll be done by the time you wake up.

Alternatively, mail a flash drive to him.

I did two different speed test of my home Wifi. The slowest download is 128.66 Mbs, and the slowest upload is 11.6 Mbs. At that rate I could upload 5.07 Gig in 437 seconds, about 7.5 minutes.

My brother is a programmable controller engineer who has two college age children. I think he has an extra good internet connection, so even though the file he will be sending is larger he probably has a faster connection.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Quattro Pete

At 10 Mbps, upolading of 28 GB should take about 7 hours. Just start it before you go to bed, and it'll be done by the time you wake up.

28,000,000,000 / 10,000,000 = 2,800 seconds

2,800 / 60 = 46.66 minutes

Originally Posted by JimPghPA

You might be confusing bits with bytes.

Are you sure your upload speed is 11.6 MB/s and not 11.6 Mbit/s? Take your times and multiply them by 8.

Or use a calculator:
https://www.download-time.com/

Originally Posted by JimPghPA

You might be confusing bits with bytes.

Are you sure your upload speed is 11.6 MB/s and not 11.6 Mbit/s? Take your times and multiply them by 8.

Or use a calculator:
https://www.download-time.com/

Beat me to it. Once you add packets, latency, checksums and other bottlenecks, probably a little bit more than that.

For 5 gb, Google drive maybe? Assuming google doesnt flag it as some kind of a copyright infringment...

Zip it, and then password the zip file. 7-Zip can do it for free.

Originally Posted by BigD1

MP3 files are already compressed. It'd be interesting to see how much actual compression you actually get. I would only expect single digits or less.

Originally Posted by Wolf359

MP3 files are already compressed. It'd be interesting to see how much actual compression you actually get. I would only expect single digits or less.

I think he was suggesting zipping so that google couldnt tell that these are mp3 files. Not to save space.

Zip it into 3 groups, password protect it so google can't see what it is and upload 1 group at a time and delete when it's downloaded, Did this to transfer 50GB of manuals from home to work took two weeks.

Originally Posted by Wolf359

I think he was suggesting zipping so that google couldnt tell that these are mp3 files. Not to save space.

Exactly!

What OS for sending and receiving? If either one or both is MacOS (or linux) you can point to point securely copy the files using WinSCP on windows and the sshd service utility on the Mac.

The Mac would either need to be put in a DMZ or have port forwarding set up on the home router.

As with most things if you are windows to windows you are SOL and have to use a third party service

If you want to do this as an exercise in freeing yourself from the bonds of third party observers, just post it up here and a bunch of people will walk you thru it.

Last edited:
What kind of routers do you have, check to see if the routers can be setup as a nas or clouddrive.

Originally Posted by Leo99
Mailing the a flash drive will be least aggravating.

+1...Or even use one of the P2P apps that have been around for decades now. Alternatively, brother could just stream his own music from one of the many providers out there offering free curated playlists...but I digress.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back