Valvoline Modern Engine Preventing D.I. Carbon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For years here we have been debating expensive oils against inexpensive oils. Now we are beginning t see why the $29-$35 oil is really better for the GDI / TGDI vehicle lifetime owner, than purchasing the $14-20 oil.

But if I were a leaser, or one that sells the vehicle at 100K, I'd buy the cheaper brands too.

brake cleaner or carb cleaner will do just as good, probably for cheaper
wink.gif

Originally Posted by pbm
Is it still the conventional wisdom that an occasional blast to near redline can help with carbon buildup on valves?.....I ask because the posts mentioning how hard carbon is make me wonder.

Sure, but adjust your expectations..if you're trying to slow down the build up, then regular use can be of some benefit much in the same way a cleaner can help to keep injector tips clean....But if you already have or are worried you have, a significant amount of build up that's effecting performance, then taking it in for a professional cleaning is probably the best, most cost effective route as carbon deposits can be quite tenacious and take some time to break apart.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
For years here we have been debating expensive oils against inexpensive oils. Now we are beginning t see why the $29-$35 oil is really better for the GDI / TGDI vehicle lifetime owner, than purchasing the $14-20 oil.

But if I were a leaser, or one that sells the vehicle at 100K, I'd buy the cheaper brands too.

good point or question ... That's why in another thread I posted:

Originally Posted by OilUzer
Is this new theory or additive/detergent that Valvoline has which can "wash/clean" ivd, part of any (api, etc.) cert? Are others failing this test? Or is this getting into oil is not oil territory? lol

Was curious because I'm not sure how effective the detergent is. Marketing? idk. That's why I asked if we are getting into "oil is not oil" territory vs. "oil is oil" as long as it meets the spec.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by buster
No problem.

Blue Restore is more for cleaning the rings and other areas, although it may help clean IVD? Good question. I don' t think it would. The idea behind keeping IVD's at bay, which can only be mitigated to a minimal extent, is to use an oil with a lower SA level that has good base oil quality and as little VII's as possible.

Is oil the only way? Maybe on the consumer side of things but I don't see how adding something like a catch can setup and/or a (d)pf in the after treatment system of a GDI, couldn't have a positive effect on mitigating IVDs. But alas, the bean counters at HQ probably don't see enuff of an ROI...so it's essentially on the consumer to figure it out ad hoc.

Last edited:
Hi Kschachn,
No connection other than products purchased. I've taken a some classes with worldpac and at Vision in the past. ATS are usually at most of training events.
I watched the oil video from Valvoline and felt the need to discuss my experiences. I've been a technician a various places and had a number of dealings with carbon build up. I found walnut blasting to be very effective yet time consuming. I simply wanted to share a better way.
All the best

Originally Posted by Eurotech187
Hi Kschachn,
No connection other than products purchased. I've taken a some classes with worldpac and at Vision in the past. ATS are usually at most of training events.
I watched the oil video from Valvoline and felt the need to discuss my experiences. I've been a technician a various places and had a number of dealings with carbon build up. I found walnut blasting to be very effective yet time consuming. I simply wanted to share a better way.
All the best

Thanks for the clarification, when people join and their first post is to promote one specific brand of something as a cure for a problem (and include a handy link to the product) you can see how the question might come about. You found the thread though a Google search?

How much does your shop charge for the service?

No problem. We have been offering it for $280. It's not always an easy sell for customers when they can't see it. That's another reason why I really like that Valvoline video.
Thanks guys. Stay safe out there.
19.gif

No problem. We have been offering it for $280. It's not always an easy sell for customers when they can't see it. That's another reason why I really like that Valvoline video.
19.gif

Welcome to BITOG
10.gif

19.gif

cheers3.gif

So as I understand, other than oil fumes coming from the PCV and the EGR, some oil can leak through the valves guides and create deposits, due to thinner oil for fuel efficiency.

Is running a 5w30 instead of a 0w20 would help? It would make total sense to me..

Valvoline is selling a lot of this to Ford dealers.

"That's exactly what Valvoline Modern Engine does that other high-quality oils, even synthetics, don't. Valvoline Modern Engine is an oil that is specifically designed to address a problem and take measures to solve, while others remain seemingly fixated on the ineffective notion of cleaning by the use of special fuel. Warholic believes, "Modern Engine is only one designed for this."

https://team.valvoline.com/diy/truth-behind-carbon-buildup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back