Hard time selling my vehicle.....

OP didn't link to his ads?

Like others have said the price is high to me and the vehicle for a Jeep has high mileage.
Considering the current situation don't expect a lot of interest unless you significantly drop the price perhaps as much as 1500$.

That is an undesirable Jeep with a bunch of miles from a private seller. It's not a vehicle someone with cash wants to buy from Joe Stranger. That's the type of vehicle you see at a used car dealer on the bad side of town that finances to most anyone.
Seriously, if you had a daughter, would you want her buying that? I'm assuming the AC doesn't work as you didn't mention it.

It looks dirty inside. The driver seat is stained. Does it smell like smoke inside? I think it's priced in that never never land of vehicles. It's too expensive for a beater and not nice enough for $4000.

While I'm a little surprised. in general, it look ok. why isn't it selling:
Price. color. Jeep liberty reputation.

if it was silver, it would sell.
at 3k, it might sell.
those are miserable to work on; and expensive. I have friends who have literally put over $20K in theirs. yes, in a 3 year span.
remove the part about the heater core. its not a selling point.

$2500 and someone will buy it. $3900 is too much for a fairly undesirable vehicle. I'm not saying it's a bad vehicle, I'm just saying... It's a Jeep Liberty.

Edit: and new parts don't increase the value. People expect the brakes to work and the heat to be hot. So they're not going to spend extra because the heater core is new.

Last edited:
I always end up putting too much into my cars because I like fixing them up and I go overboard because I like stuff to be right. I see yours has nice tires and it looks like you have some effort into it. Unfortunately, it probably will have to sell for less than 3K due to everything going on and the economy isn't as strong for a lot of working people as it's cracked up to be.

The sunlight through the seat belt makes it appear to be a different color. Picture 14. People who study the pics looking for wrecks or other signs of craigslist fraud might be turned away. Maybe upload a better pic or remove that specific one?

You gotta consider your market.

Those looking at such a vehicle probably are not going to have $3900 cash on hand.

I think the average income tax refund has been in the $2800-$2900 range, so you are probably $1000 too high for your target market.

People who always complain that they're having a hard time selling a car always boils down to one thing, it's overpriced. The market speaks, some people don't know how to listen. People who claim that it's not the price, I always say if it was a $1, it'd sell instantly.

As for the ad, it might help to give the car a good wash and maybe not take pictures when it's so bright and there's so much glare. Can't tell if someone of those pictures are snow in the reflection or dirt/damage. I'd also skip those under body pictures. Most people prefer pictures of the engine and more of the dash with the mileage. Pictures of options too but the car doesn't have that many. As others said, some seat cleaner and maybe do better to get those stains out the seats. Green is also not a great color. There is a price difference between popular colors and unpopular ones. Also like I said earlier, it's too sunny, glare cuts down on the detail. You need bright with sharp detail. Yours is basically too bright not enough detail.

In your ad you say " Engine and tranny are nice". Change to Engine and tranny are strong. Change a picture to a picture of the driver's side dash with the engine running. This way people can see the gauges working and no warning lights.

Last edited:
Indications that the car was being flipped would have my guard up right off the bat, so it would need to be priced very competitively to catch my interest. Also, intentionally or not, you have included photos of everything but the rear bumper where you say (here, not in the ad) that the body filler has fallen off. That lack of transparency (again, whether or not that is your intent) would have me running for the hills.

Also, to reiterate what others have said, it's a green Jeep Liberty.

"So i'm reluctant to sell below what I have into it. After all, i bought it as a fix and flip."

You gambled... so far you are losing.

I have a few more suggestions.

1) Trade it.- perhaps for a Harley or SidebySide.. something that someone with disposable income will buy.

2) Try selling it for what you have into it.. just to break even and move on.

3) Hail Mary- List it in Ohio, WV.. basically 250 square miles from your location.

4) Insert 'tags' at the bottom of your listing. Ford, Chevrolet, Honda, Toyota, Diesel, Hybrid, Truck, Harley you will get more eyes on your prize.

Dollars.
Dollars.
Dollars.

Did I mention dollars????

You are asking for too many dollars.

Ask for fewer dollars and it will sell faster.

Questions?!?

Oh, I also tried to look up the book value. There's 3 different models, Limited, Renegade and Sport. List the options that add extra value like power driver seat, navigation etc if it has it. And yes, as others said, you need a picture of the rear. Can't even tell exactly what model it is so buyers can't determine the book value. Plus post the VIN, that way people can get a carfax/autocheck and see for themselves if they're interested. When you hide things, people are less interested. Full disclosure is always best. When you try to hide things, people think it's scam and get scared off. It's both too high, not enough info and not the right type of pictures.

In my opinion it's not a very desirable or reliable vehicle to begin with. You're likely going to end up taking a loss on the sale unfortunately but I wish you the best of luck.

Those are small and per square foot, they are poor gas mileage. Your miles are high at 150k and it's old enough that full coverage is wanted by the new buyer, but how much will insurance cover for a soon-to-be 11 year-old vehicle, having that many miles.

Drop the price to $2900.

Originally Posted by fsdork
. Also, intentionally or not, you have included photos of everything but the rear bumper where you say (here, not in the ad) that the body filler has fallen off. That lack of transparency (again, whether or not that is your intent) would have me running for the hills

I agree. If I came to look at it as a buyer and saw rear bumper damage that wasn't in the pics I'd think you were hiding something else and I'd pass.

Originally Posted by mattd
In my opinion it's not a very desirable or reliable vehicle to begin with. You're likely going to end up taking a loss on the sale unfortunately but I wish you the best of luck.

So true.
The Liberty is an undesirable model from a line not popularly noted for great reliability/durability.
If this were a very similar Accord or Camry, you'd have gotten four grand or more with no problems in a couple of days.
Maybe not fair, but just the way things are.

Back