Remove Transmission Fluid Stains From Driveway

Status
Not open for further replies.
After dealing with a few transmission leaks and some transmission service, I have a couple basketball size stains in my concrete driveway that I cannot get rid of. I have used a couple different degreasers with coarse scrubbing brush with no effect.
Anyone have any ideas of how to treat these stains without ruining the concrete?

Sometimes you start with "like dissolves like" … Go with oil based like WD40 to break it down … Cat litter to absorb that mess … Lastly Dawn or Greased Lightning etc …

Its hard to damage concrete. So you can be more aggressive than on blacktop. But point blank with the pressure washer jet nozzle may damage the concrete.

I would use Dawn diluted maybe 4 to 1 and let it sit there for a day or more. Maybe cover with plastic so it does not evaporate.

Simple Green will work sometimes but not always. Usually a good winter with plenty of snow will help significantly.

Originally Posted by buck91
Simple Green will work sometimes but not always. Usually a good winter with plenty of snow will help significantly.

OP lives in Florida.

Put some fireplace ashes or hardwood ashes from the grill on it and let it sit. The ashes are so dry and are used to make lye which is a cleaning agent. Let them sit a while then sweep them off and spread them back on the spots. I used this to get 3 gallons of used diesel engine oil off of my shop floor. It works.

For some reason, transmission fluid seems to stain concrete unlike anything else I've encountered. I have tried anything and everything to remove the stains with no success.

Try this. ...doin' this for years.

Get a 4 (or 8) ounce adjustable nozzled spray bottle from the Bed & Bath store near you -one that tightens to pin point.
Fill it with full strength Purple Power
Boil water and be ready to boil more
If applicable, soak the downhill side of the stain or the entire surrounding clean concrete with water so dirty rinse water doesn't stain it.
Pour the boiling water onto the spot slowly and directly. The idea is to impart heat to the concrete at the stain not send boiling water down the clean spots of your driveway. Be precise.
Shoot the heated stain with Purple Power and let it sit 2-3 minutes
Rinse with more hot water. You'll be rinsing and reheating the concrete hopefully deeper and to a higher temperature
You'll see the oily stuff slough off. You'll be glad you protected the clean concrete with the soak
Repeat shoot Purple Power on it. With hotter concrete you can let it sit a minute longer

How it dissolves your stains depends
Multiple rounds are often necessary but this is easy to do. I'll do 5-6 passes and go back to it the next day

This is something you can do on a rainy day
Try this and I guarantee you'll dig up this thread to thank me

Kitty litter, grind it in with your feet....think Chubby Checker, make sure the neighbors aren't watching, sweep it up with a broom and dust pan. Some chemicals will clean so well you'll just replace an oil stain with a light spot on the driveway.

If the OP is like me, the oil / trans fluid is already gone, but the stain isn't. There's no oil or trans fluid still sitting on top of the discolored stain. All that remains is the discolored stain itself.
That's what he and I want to remove. Mine is former drips from the lousy thick copper oil drain plug washer the dealer used, when I received my free oil change.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
If the OP is like me, the oil / trans fluid is already gone, but the stain isn't. There's no oil or trans fluid still sitting on top of the discolored stain. All that remains is the discolored stain itself.
That's what he and I want to remove. Mine is former drips from the lousy thick copper oil drain plug washer the dealer used, when I received my free oil change.

even if it appears to be gone, grinding kitty litter in and letting it sit overnight still seems to work pretty well on concrete slabs. When I had the Exxon Valdez incident in my driveway, I was able to get it to about 97% with this, before I had to break out any chemicals (this is a poured, unsealed slab, broom finish). I got the last little bit w/some purple power and a pressure washer, but it didn't take much.

+1 Pour n Restore, it's the real deal.

Buy only what you can use within a few days, as the contents dry quickly once you've opened the bottle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back