Question about Apple TV

1) The YouTube app for AppleTV is a POS, and has a reputation for not playing nicely with ATV conventions, and having issues with functionality.

2) For issues restricted to a particular app, the simplest remedy is to delete the app, and install it again. The only data lost will be that related to the app.

3) Like a computer reboot, restarting an ATV will cure most issues; in more extreme cases, a forced restart (hold the Menu and Home/TV buttons until the light on the front of the ATV flashes) is a stronger option.

4) A Reset will wipe all data and start from scratch, akin to changing spark plugs with a sledge hammer, or putting a rotary grinder to a body panel when all you wish to do is buff out a scratch. It should only be used as a last resort.

Originally Posted by Carmudgeon
1) The YouTube app for AppleTV is a POS, and has a reputation for not playing nicely with ATV conventions, and having issues with functionality.

2) For issues restricted to a particular app, the simplest remedy is to delete the app, and install it again. The only data lost will be that related to the app.

3) Like a computer reboot, restarting an ATV will cure most issues; in more extreme cases, a forced restart (hold the Menu and Home/TV buttons until the light on the front of the ATV flashes) is a stronger option.

4) A Reset will wipe all data and start from scratch, akin to changing spark plugs with a sledge hammer, or putting a rotary grinder to a body panel when all you wish to do is buff out a scratch. It should only be used as a last resort.

I tried deleting the YT app and reinstalling it, which didn't cure the problem...I will try doing a restart (not a reset)...

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by grampi
Originally Posted by kschachn
Wow there's a difference between restarting and resetting (or initializing).

And as someone who owns both, a Fire TV Stick isn't better. Just my opinion.

I'm sure not all Apple TVs are like mine, this one is just extremely glitchy. So where would I find these two options? I've only seen the one option, and selecting it wipes out everything, including most of the apps I have installed...this is the one that requires re-inputing all of my email addresses and passwords for all of the apps, and having to re-install the apps...if there's another way to reset it without wiping out everything I can do that if I knew how...

https://support.apple.com/guide/tv/restart-apple-tv-atvbb8553426/13.0/tvos/13.0

Restart, not Reset.

[Linked Image from cdn.iphonelife.com]

Thanks! I will try this...

I agree about the YouTube app. It is junk. I tried it out a little over a year ago and was thoroughly frustrated with it so I deleted it.

On the Reset function it should give you a last chance warning about what you are going to do.

Get rid of YouTube.

Originally Posted by PimTac
I agree about the YouTube app. It is junk. I tried it out a little over a year ago and was thoroughly frustrated with it so I deleted it.

Google not playing well with Apple? Who would have thought?
smile.gif

smile.gif

Yep I think there is a lot said there. Even without the app, if I tried to viewcast a YT video from my iPhone or iPad, it froze everything up.

It works fine on those devices though.

On the Reset function it should give you a last chance warning about what you are going to do.

Get rid of YouTube.

So without the app, how do you watch YT videos?

If watching YT videos is important, I think Roku or Fire TV may be better options.

Get rid of YouTube.

On my iPhone and iPad

Get rid of YouTube.

On my Android TV box I watch YouTube, and all of my TV shows
wink.gif

Get rid of YouTube.

On my iPhone and iPad

That may work for you, but I'd much rather watch them on my 70" TV...

Get rid of YouTube.

I stream them from my phone to the TV, but that requires a smart TV connected to the internet. 1 click and they're connected, no need to login/physically connect another device on/to the TV or anything, it's all controlled through the phone/tablet/laptop.

[Linked Image]

smile.gif

Thing is, the app used to work much better. They stuffed it up a year or two back with a UI rewrite.

Back