Rear drum shoe replacement pricing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also really don't mind having rear drums. They work just fine, they last a really long time, and the parking brake works fantastic. I've never had a parking brake on a rear disc brake equipped vehicle work as well as a rear drum brake vehicle (and that includes vehicles with rear discs but with the drum style parking brake). My Ranger has 83k miles and still has the factory original rear drum brakes. I inspected and adjusted them a few years ago and decided (based on their condition at the time) that I don't need to check them again until the truck reaches 100k miles.

I actually prefer rear drums for a work-a-day vehicle. Drums, per my personal experience, have never pulsated for me. I had a 1970 Olds Cutlass with 9" drums in frt. A decidedly under-endowed car, by way of braking system adequacy for sure... But these never had brake pulsations. Understand, though, that I am NOT advocating for frt drums!

Corvair had frt drums. However, and they are rare, some folks successfully road-race Corvairs. I'm sure those frt drums are a challenge for them. Mebe they go to finned aluminum drums?

Originally Posted by 97prizm
Hi all,

My 05 neon is getting rear shoes replaced at a local place that has done my brakes in the past with hood results. I was quoted $158 but have a $30 off coupon. Does this sound reasonable? Not sure what brake prices are in your area. If it were rear discs i would have replaced the pads myself. I still can't believe a vehicle made in 2005 had drim brakes.

$128 is very reasonable and borders on not being worth the trouble of doing them yourself. The price might escalate if you have to replace the drums and/or the wheel cylinders.

Having said that, if you are capable of doing disc brakes, you are capable of doing drums also. It's not rocket science. It just takes more time. You might run into trouble if they have been severely neglected and there is lots of corrosion to deal with. While special tools are helpful, you can manage to get it done with the basics. It just takes longer. There are lots of YouTube videos to show you the way. Take good pictures before starting so that you make sure to get all the springs and hardware reinstalled correctly.

With my current vehicle, I remove the drums at every tire rotation to clean things up. This really helps when shoe replacement time comes. So, yea, depending on your mood and time available, consider doing the work yourself. As mentioned above, it is a bit rewarding when you tackle and complete a challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back