Repairing Melted Insulation On Wires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Working on changing transmission fill tube on my 98 Expedition.
It appears as if the last person to change the tube, put the tube over a wiring harness, which consequently wedged the wiring harness between the fill tube and the exhaust. The heat from the exhaust melted the split loom and melted a couple contact points on the insulation of a few of the wires.
The best I can figure for such a limited access repair is to use liquid tape over the small spots of melted insulation, stagger the repaired insulation wires within the good wires so no 2 damaged insulation wires could ever touch each other, replace the split loom over the repair area with new loom and reroute the wiring harness away from the exhaust (over the fill tube instead of under it).
Cutting and splicing and heat shrink is not an option...no room to get tooling in there, besides, I feel like a continuous wire has less potential for failure than repaired insulation.
Any other ideas?

+1 on the liquid tape and high temp loom. I would get a cheap kids brush used for water colors to put on the liquid tape. The brush in the bottle is too big. Buy a small pack of kids brushes at dollar store, they come in handy for many things and cost about 10 cents.

I bought loom at Autozone. Don't know if it is high temp, It is Doorman Flame Retardant.

Sometimes you can unplug a few things and pull the harness out to where it is easier to work on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back