Stock market!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by grampi
At some point, people will have to be allowed to go back to work. Yes, this virus is bad, but there will be MANY more deaths and MUCH more carnage if our economy (and in turn, the world economy) is allowed to collapse. Question is, what is the tipping point?

I agree. Nobody knows when it will improve.

Dow down significantly again today, it would have been down much more if the PPT hadn't put the brakes on.

Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
I'm hoping after another month or two of this people will get tired about hearing about this and just go back to work. Not many people can go more than one or two checks without falling behind on bills.

If they are allowed to by law, as some states are mandating laws to self isolate to certain degrees. People can only go to work if they are allowed to, regardless if those people want to work.

Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey
Per Warren Buffett, "be greedy when others are fearful. Berkshire Hathaway has billions in cash to invest. Be nice to know what they are buying. Bottom by end of month?? Scary watching wealth evaporate into the ether but this is not our first rodeo.

I took it to heart. Bought Delta, Carnival, Boeing, EPD, and divided it all up amongst $2,000. This is my first foray. So far its holding steady at a net 0, more or less. Some days I'm up 100, some days down 100, but Delta was my error here. It fell from 33.63 to 23ish. It had leveled at 33, and I thought that was the floor. I thought wrong. Thenothers are all making me money, delta just pulls it down some days.

Im still pretty much even from a year ago, thank you Walmart as I am still up on the stock from one year ago, though since is didnt go down much, on the rebound it wont go up much either.... maybe but I got a sneaky feeling ... that I want to/wish buy more :eek:)
Today will be big upside for the market but it doesnt change the fact, for now that the entire world is a mess because of a flu panic and long term we not know yet.

Last edited:
3veeything from the pat 4 years is wiped out for me (not counting the taxes paid which adds to the injury). I would convert to cash but I am anticipating huge inflation once this is over. We may lose the petrodollar and then dollars will be worth what they are worth without it.

Just wait till corporate earnings and unemployment numbers start trickling in.

This minor rebound giving lots of people a warm fuzzy feeling inside.

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Green day today?

So far. But the President hasn't spoken yet.

Oh no. I lose $12k every time he opens his mouth.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 401k at work .

I an old enough to cash it out and was thinking about it . Then the bottom dropped out of the market . Too late now , not going to touch it until the market comes up or I NEED the cash . Time to wait and see .

Bought HEP today. Anyone that likes oil investment should check it out, they are fee based distribution model of product to refineries so they should still make money at low oil prices.

Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
Originally Posted by Alfred_B
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Green day today?

So far. But the President hasn't spoken yet.

Oh no. I lose $12k every time he opens his mouth.

Yeah, I'm sure that's why...
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
I have a 401k at work .

I an old enough to cash it out and was thinking about it . Then the bottom dropped out of the market . Too late now , not going to touch it until the market comes up or I NEED the cash . Time to wait and see .

At your age you need to be more cautious.

When market recovers you should not be 100% in stocks / mutual funds. Way too much volatility.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Dow is up over 9%.
I guess we are back where we are not supposed to be?

Hang on team; stay the course.

Jeff, you seem like a smart guy and I agree with a lot of what you have to say...

I think you're dreaming. None of the fundamentals that lead to the fall have changed--they're only getting worse.
-we're months away from a functioning economy here
-supply chains are still mangled
-the global situation is getting worse, exponentially (better in part of Asia)
-corporate debt levels still out of control

The mid-term affects of 20-30% unemployment haven't really been seen yet. Yes, things will certainly get better. The question is "how long will it take, and how quickly". I just don't think one can say "it will be fixed by Easter" and have it be so. We're going to have 2 quarters of terrible numbers being released, at least. How will the markets react then?

I'm holding most of my assets, and I'll stick with than plan and play with the day trades. Was glad to get TSLA @ 360 and BA at 97, since they're long-term winners, IMO. Took a loss on VDE but doubled down on it. I think there is opportunity out there. On whole though, I'm seeing a hard road ahead.

Originally Posted by JOD
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Dow is up over 9%.
I guess we are back where we are not supposed to be?

Hang on team; stay the course.

Jeff, you seem like a smart guy and I agree with a lot of what you have to say...

I think you're dreaming. None of the fundamentals that lead to the fall have changed--they're only getting worse.
-we're months away from a functioning economy here
-supply chains are still mangled
-the global situation is getting worse, exponentially (better in part of Asia)
-corporate debt levels still out of control

The mid-term affects of 20-30% unemployment haven't really been seen yet. Yes, things will certainly get better. The question is "how long will it take, and how quickly". I just don't think one can say "it will be fixed by Easter" and have it be so. We're going to have 2 quarters of terrible numbers being released, at least. How will the markets react then?

I'm holding most of my assets, and I'll stick with than plan and play with the day trades. Was glad to get TSLA @ 360 and BA at 97, since they're long-term winners, IMO. Took a loss on VDE but doubled down on it. I think there is opportunity out there. On whole though, I'm seeing a hard road ahead.

JOD, I was making a light hearted joke; trying to take the edge off.
"I guess we are back where we are not supposed to be?"

We have been on this incredible market run since 2008. Now due to an unexpected (and unprepared for) major issue, things have changed.
I 100% agree with you, we have a long way to go. Anyone who doesn't must know some secret...

From a 50,000 foot level, I am expecting market volatility for 8 more weeks, at least, depending on the big issue.
Then perhaps a start to return to some stability.
The world will continue to recover, slowly for at least the rest of the year. And beyond.

From an investing standpoint, I would hope we have all learned our lessons.
I am staying the course; not selling and not buying.

I appreciate your kind words, and again, I agree we have a long way to go.
By the way, just after it went public, I almost bought 1,000 shares of TSLA @ $30.
Partially because I believe in Silicon Valley and Elon is just crazy enough to pull off a world changer.
But what do I know? I'm just a lowly computer programmer.

Until measuring is achieved, uncertainty rules and the market does not like uncertainty.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Just wait till corporate earnings and unemployment numbers start trickling in.

This minor rebound giving lots of people a warm fuzzy feeling inside.

BIG dead cat bounce. Folks keep think this is going to blow over....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back