Subaru BRZ....2012

Not quite as reliable but close if OP picks the right Vette, I'm thinking a garaged 2002-2004 one owner base coupe (non Z06) with 50-70k miles no power suspension or transmission mods and an unmolested wiring harness. The f86/BRZ is a lot more Subaru then Toyota and as someone else pointed out the early ones had valve spring recalls, which I might add some Toyota service depts had trouble with because they don't often work on boxer engines.

Originally Posted by GZRider
In my mind anything a BRZ/F86 can do, the Nissan 370Z or Chevy C5 Corvette does better, faster and louder.

Probably safe to say your tastes are not the ones the BRZ/86 was aiming for.

Thanks all for the input.

370Z would double the changeover...Vettes don't exist down here.

Originally Posted by gathermewool
Originally Posted by GZRider
In my mind anything a BRZ/F86 can do, the Nissan 370Z or Chevy C5 Corvette does better, faster and louder. A base one of either is only 20-30% more to get into used these days in the states then the Subaru Toyota 2 door lovechild. Not sure about the pricing situation down under though.

Are 15 year-old Corvettes as reliable as a Subaru/Toyota half its age?

Probably just as or more. Standard LS1 with a T56. I would put my 20 Year WS6 up against your two choice any day.
A LS1 and T56 is probably one of the most reliable drivetrains on the planet.

I have driven a couple, eh. While it handles well I found nothing particularly exciting about it. The wife's 2.0 turbo Malibu is faster and stops just as well.
I never understood this particular car. They don't sell a whole bunch here in the states. I get your choices are limited so it might be the best sporty car you can find.
It looks really nice just doesn't have the power plant needed to be serious enough for me to live with it daily.
It might be just perfect for you though as your choices are limited.

Mike,
I've passengered in a Bentley Continental GT, and loved eveything about the experience...alas, with my life changes in the last 8 months, even the aspiration of that flew away, amongst other things.

I can't afford the tickets of something really fast...

Originally Posted by ls1mike
I have driven a couple, eh. While it handles well I found nothing particularly exciting about it. The wife's 2.0 turbo Malibu is faster and stops just as well.
I never understood this particular car. They don't sell a whole bunch here

Point taken, Shannow, about what you can afford, car- or tickets, but I 'kinda think this car would be a bit frustrating in terms of engine power. It's missing only one ingredient from being great: power.

Friend of mine daily-drove an FR-S for a few years. Recently traded it for a new Civic Type-R. >50% more hp, way more grip, way better brakes, way better NVH, way more interior room, way better tech.

He misses the FR-S. I don't blame him.

I made a similar trade when I went from my Mazda RX-8 R3 to my BMW M3 sedan, with similar results. In my case, I almost doubled my horsepower. If I could, I'd trade all that extra speed for a few hundred pounds of weight reduction any day of the week, twice on Sundays, and extra hard on special occasions.

There's no shortage of capable cars, or cars that combine capability with practicality and comfort. There is a massive shortage of cars that are feelsome and engaging at real-world speeds, with accessible handling limits and limit behavior. That's what the BRZ/86 is for, and it does that job better than almost any vaguely-modern car you can buy.

More directly to the OP:

Shannow, if the main reason you're looking at a BRZ is that you can't afford a very different kind of car, I'd advise thinking twice.

At the same time... if you want to avoid tickets, a BRZ is a great call -- not just because it's not all that fast, but because it feels faster than it is. But if that's what you want... Have you driven an MX-5? Even better in that respect, IMO -- at least in its most recent incarnation. You might also be able to get the version with the 1.5L engine, which is what the car was originally designed around (the 2.0 is heavier).

Originally Posted by Shannow
Mike,
I've passengered in a Bentley Continental GT, and loved eveything about the experience...alas, with my life changes in the last 8 months, even the aspiration of that flew away, amongst other things.

LOL, then you should do it. It handles well and stops well. I would try to find a newer one though.

for new-ish in that range + type i would be thinking mazda miata. i love my preowned 2001 TT 225Q roadster i purchased after retiring a few years ago + not needing car pool room. it had under 40 thou on it + its really a very glorified golf with AWD + similar to my trouble free 200 thou 2001 jetta 1.8T, both manually shifted "of course"!!

Originally Posted by Cdn17Sport6MT
How does the FRS / BRZ do, driving somewhat like Grandma, in everyday traffic? Do you need to rev it in gear to avoid being smacked from behind while shifting gears?

Not at all. Imagine one of the punchier 4-cylinder econoboxes, or one of the more sedate V6s. That's what it's like, acceleration-wise.

The only time it feels slow is if you're constantly pushing through that stupid torque dip in the midrange. Above or below that, i.e. when you're wringing its neck or driving like a normal person, it's fine.

Originally Posted by Cdn17Sport6MT
How does the FRS / BRZ do, driving somewhat like Grandma, in everyday traffic? Do you need to rev it in gear to avoid being smacked from behind while shifting gears?

Yes... unfortunately it's very unappealing when a minivan is faster than you.

Mike,

Even if I could afford a more expensive car I would still buy the Subaru BRZ. Despite all the weaknesses I have mentioned this car works well. And overall it is a well balanced car. I am not sure where the people get the information about the reliability problems. Do they break down often? I have never had a single problem with it. And I really don't get it when then say it need a more powerful engine. For what? It's top speed is 230 and it accelerates to 100 in around 7 sec.

Expect to pay $400-$800 for a shop to change the spark plugs. You can DIY the job but it's a complete nightmare.

Agreed...anyway, it's on the way...

thumbsup2.gif

Back