1961 Cub Cadet Original

1961 was the first year International Harvester had the Cub Cadet. This tractor was made in November of 1961.

I just got it done. I added as many options as I could find. This tractor includes a really nice 38" timed mowing deck (including highly sought after deck chute guard), head lights, a Grote tail light, and a rear lift with Brinley Spring Assist and sleeve hitch adapter. The tires are very hard to find NOS originals as well. This tractor was never "cut" for a creeper gear, so I'm not adding one. Other possible missing options are a rear PTO and ultra rare hydraulic lift. The front weight bracket and weights are reproductions. A tractor buddy makes them in Wisconsin, and the weights are poured from a foundry in Illinois.

I have 3 attachment for the rear that will be completed restored here shortly: a #1 IH yard dump cart, a Mott Flail mower, and a Brinley Dump Cart.

Deck Guard.jpg

Air Cleaner Side.jpg

Front Angle.jpg

Rear Lift Assist.jpg

Last edited:
Is that one of the first hydrostat tractors, or traditional transmission? Looks awesome! We have one of those at work, I'll have to snap a picture next time I am in the office.

That looks great!

Learned to drive on a 1968 Cub Cadet. A 1968 model 105 (10 HP Kohler, hydrostatic). I was 10.

Later, learned how to replace a head gasket and use a torque wrench. I was 12.

That Cub started me on life's path in many ways...

Originally Posted by DriveHard
Is that one of the first hydrostat tractors, or traditional transmission? Looks awesome! We have one of those at work, I'll have to snap a picture next time I am in the office.

It's a standard transmission. You can see the gear selector under the seat. Yes, PLEASE take a pic of the one you have at work. I'd love to see it.

I forgot to add that I also have fenders and rear wheel weights. Those were all options. Everything on the Cub Cadets was an option. Even the electric start.

Just the bare bones tractor with electric start was $620 back in 1961. That was a decent chunk of change back then. A new Ford truck was about double that....Yikes!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Trav
Nice job restoring that very cool little machine. Who made the engine for that? I am really interested in the history of these.

Should be a single cylinder Kohler. Good engine.

Originally Posted by Astro14
Originally Posted by Trav
Nice job restoring that very cool little machine. Who made the engine for that? I am really interested in the history of these.

Should be a single cylinder Kohler. Good engine.

Yep!! It's a 7HP Kohler. Known as a K161. These things run so smooth and sound amazing. They have a good amount of torque. These older Kohlers can't be compared to typical Chinese "7HP" motor today.

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
Absolutely awesome. My neighbor in PA had one in 1961 or 1962 that made our old Farmall Cub look like a booger.

Norman....same rear end in the Cub and the Cub Cadet. They are built like tanks.

Last edited:
Guy on my paper route had one. He needed it, his drive way was a jillion feet long going through a gently sloping lawn.
grin2.gif

Man, I would give my left pinky fingernail for one of those!

Provided I had an injection of lidocaine first.

Awesome!

Back when iron and steel ruled the roost!

That deck is making me drool.

Last edited:
Not only is it rare to see one so nice, it's even more rare to see new old stock tires and fitted with options!

Originally Posted by user52165
Will it ever be used or just a travel queen taken to shows?

I love finding these old tanks, meeting the old timers who own them, traveling all over the country to get them, bringing them home, giving them some love, driving them around the neighborhood, show them off to my friend, and then sell them.

I'm putting together a collection of high-end restored Garden Tractors. But I only have "so much room" for storage. So once I get 8-12 really nice units, I'm taking them to a tractor auction like Mecum's or Aumann's) and sell them. And then probably start all over again.

I don't enjoy "hoarding" them. The fun, for me, is in finding and procuring them. I got into this hobby about 11 months ago. I've already bought and sold 14-15 GT's so far. But most were just vintage "mowers"....Wheel Horses and Cub Cadets from the 1960-1970's....things people could and would actually use. I made money on every sale. So hope to make a decent amount at the auction when I sell off my "garage queens". That's my plan/goal.

There's a lot of guy who have 30-100 of these things sitting in barns and outside....they haven't ran in 10-30 years and they just sit there and rust. I have no desire to be that guy. It's hard enough just keeping good batteries and fresh gas in the 10-12 I have at this time.

Originally Posted by Phishin

There's a lot of guy who have 30-100 of these things sitting in barns and outside....they haven't ran in 10-30 years and they just sit there and rust. I have no desire to be that guy. It's hard enough just keeping good batteries and fresh gas in the 10-12 I have at this time.

Just think of the economics. It's cheaper and more space efficient to hoard garden tractors than cars. Keep'em coming. I could gawk at a collection of these for hours. Add beer? ALL DAY! LOL.

Back