F-150 trucks in the past 10 years

My fiancée's son has a 2014 F150 with the 5.0 that he bought new and it has been very trouble free until recently when he had to have the cam phasers replaced but this truck had almost 200,000 miles on it. My fiancée has a 2017 F150 with the 5.0 and it's been trouble free so far but it only has about 17,000 miles on it.

I have had a few Ford trucks the last couple were a 1999 Expedition 5.4 and then a 2005 Ford 5.4. I think my 2014 5.0 is the best of all of them so far. I have 57,000 miles and zero problems. I don't think the 5.4 engines were that great considering a possibility of plugs breaking, cam phasers going out, and coil pack problems to name a few. I think the 5.0L is a much better engine but I really didn't have any problems with my previous trucks. I must be old fashioned and still like the GM pushrod engines the best. I bought this Ford because I like the way the spark plugs are easy to remove and there is tons of room under the hood if a repair would be needed. I think the 3.5 eco boost is a good engine however they are hard to work on if the turbo's go south. I think Ford makes too many changes on their engines and transmissions and uses the consumer as the guinea pig or test mule. If they have any problems with the brand new ones the salesmen will have a new line. The new truck salesman will tell you to buy the new electric pickup because the are very trouble free. LOL! And the saga continues..................................LOL!

I’d noticed that most (every?) brand of trucks have plastic liners in the rear fender well especially among the lip of the wheel well vs the total absence of plastic on the older units. I know their first attempt with it was a failure, where some of the designs were ridiculous and had foam in place which actually stored water. There were class action suites about it. Any ideas when they finally got it right?

PS. I Inject Krown fluid in the gap between the steel and the plastic every fall on my 13 year old GM wheel wells and can’t tell how it plates out, but so far no rust. This is in an area where roads are sprayed with salt solution.

Last edited:
Back