Help pick gear lube, 75W-90, 1987 Toy 4x4

Originally Posted by blufeb95
If I recall correctly, and Warren Performance Packaging

It's Warren Distribution.
Changed the rear axle of my 2000 4Runner last spring with SuperTech 75w-140. Very happy with the results.

Originally Posted by MRYGearHead
Originally Posted by gathermewool
Chris142 said:
Autozone has Chevron delo synthetic for $8 /qt.

I assume this is good synthetic gear oil?

Personally I buy Delvac 1 from Summit as well (the Porsche track crowd buys it there) for my Z71 … but since you are looking for lower cost this Chevron is good lube. I have it in the front and Delvac in the rear of the Tahoe.

You still haven't told us what this is for? Puttering about in your daily driver? Work truck that gets used and abused 24/7?

...have a 1987 Toyota 4x4 truck. The axles and transfer box takes, 75W-90 GL5 (approx. 6 qts total).

I plan on using RedLine MT90 for the gear box. I cant afford to used redline throughout...

I don't understand. MT-90 is around $18/qt. Amsoil is around $14/qt.

I don't know the exact capacities of your front and rear diff and the transfer case.
I'll just use 4 for diffs and 2 for transfer. It may be more for the diffs. IDK.

4 X $18 = $72 for RL in gear boxes (5 qts =$90)
4 x $14 = $56 for Amsoil in gear boxes (5 qts = $70)

You'd have $16 savings in using Amsoil in the gear boxes.
Add that "free" bottle of Amsoil Severe to your transfer case
and you only need to add one more bottle of Amsoil for $14.
Well, actually on $12 more because you saved $16.

I'm not supporting either brand of fluid. 6 qts of RL at $108.
6 qts of Amsoil at $84. If my money is really down to where
I can use 4 qts of RL and then need to choose a cheaper
product for the other 2 in the transfer case I am really in trouble.
I probably wouldn't be changing any gear fluids.

Am I missing something? Aren't we talking about saving $10 if we
choose a cheaper transfer case fluid? Are you sure you can't afford it?
Aren't we are talking about $14 more if you go with Amsoil all the way??

I'm just asking. No ill will. Are you sure you have thought this through?
Maybe I stayed up to late last night and it's me that ain't thinking clearly?

$10 over 50,000 miles?

How modified is the truck? The more modified for off road, the less MPG. The bigger tires and higher wind resistance. Expecting MPG in an off road truck is...
grin2.gif

Thanks for the input everyone!

I did answer the question what is the truck used for. Basically, its my backup vehicle.
I wasn't looking for the very best, but what is on linked site offerings, unless there's a cheaper and better choice. I am looking into the suggestions...

My truck, I use it off road and as my plan b, commute vehicle. Because it does not have AC, I dont drive it a lot because to me over 75 is very hot. And because I on average get 16 MPG, Vs my other car, that gets 25-26 combo MPG, and has AC, this car wens.

RL MT90 reasons: The sincro's never were grate. And got way worse on Mobile one. Someone suggested MT90 and now they work like their new. But not perfect. So this is why I will use this even through its too expensive otherwise.

RL MT90 reasons: The sincro's never were grate. And got way worse on Mobile one. Someone suggested MT90 and now they work like their new. But not perfect. So this is why I will use this even through its too expensive otherwise.

OEM specs a GL4 ?

AMS oil:
Are you offering to buy it, than yes!
Otherwise, too expensive.

Contact Pablo. He will give you a good deal. Amsoil is not as expensive as you think.

Like RL, AMS is out of the budget. But yes I agree its is very good...

AMSOIL isn't as expensive as you think. It's about $13/quart, which is less than the Lucas, and many others, and it's a great oil.

Originally Posted by 4WD

OEM specs a GL4 ?

GL4 or 5, 75W-90.

Do to the forced, shelter in place, I have time (you can be outside, just not around other people). The issue is that if this goes on long enough, I might not have a job. Spending $80-120 is not wise. Unemployment or the proposed $1200 is less than rent. But this is exactly why its not been done recently. I have to risk that i wont need that money for some other more important thing like rent or the used car payment. I used synthetic because I know that the change interval, is likely, to need to go beyond the OEM recommendations. I used Valvoline synthetic last time.

Last edited:
Do to the forced, shelter in place, I have time (you can be outside, just not around other people). The issue is that if this goes on long enough, I might not have a job. Spending $80-120 is not wise. Unemployment or the proposed $1200 is less than rent. But this is exactly why its not been done recently. I have to risk that i wont need that money for some other more important thing like rent or the used car payment. I used synthetic because I know that the change interval, is likely, to need to go beyond the OEM recommendations. I used Valvoline synthetic last time.

Its an '87 so the Supertech gl5 should be better than what came in it. At $7.00 a quart its a great value. You can always change it out later if things look financially better. But i see no reason this gear oil would not be more than adequate.

In fact there is no reason that the conventional supertech 80-90 for $4.95 would not work great especially if you are on a budget. You could use that and if you in better shape change it in 2 years or 30k and still be in great shape.

Last edited:
My final update (I'm not saying no need to make any more comments, just here's what happened)...

Task completed...
The F/R Diff's and the transfer box got the, Chevron Delo Syn XDM 75W-90/ GL5 gear oil. These had some minor fine crud (debris was more in the front diff), but no evidence of water.
The manual transmission box got the, Redline MT90 (75W-90/ GL4) gear oil. This had a concerning amount of fine sparkly debris. There's no magnet in the 19mm plug.
Maybe I should have changed them sooner - it was last done around 2005-2007 time frame. I've driven maybe 25k miles or less...

Last edited:
BTW. I gave the used transmission gear lube to my mechanic. He said he didn't think it was as bad as I thought. There was a mix of ferrous and non-ferrous materials in it. He said it was typical.

Back