K&N performance silver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have several when they were on sale on Amazon for $3. I will use them and sleep like a baby at night.

Originally Posted by Micahmcmeen
Does anyone know the filtration rating for this oil filter and at what micron? I couldn't find anything. Thanks in advance.

They are priced to compete against Fram EG, Purolator, Bosch and Motorcraft basic....etc. Trapping abilities n all these are serviceable and not the best.

I ran my Silver about 9K. I replaced it with another on my Colorado. So if you desire best trapping, youre gonna' pay noticeably more for it. Just be aware that expensive filters are out there - like Platinum and K&N Gold, that are meant for flow / racing....etc....etc. Some want the best oil filter parts that still allow increased flow... and there's no such thing as a high flow and high trapping filter. One cannot have both.....

If that were the case, then Ultras would be in all race cars. Actually if that were the case, Ultras would be in every vehicle being driven off the assembly line. No manufacturer would use anything else.

Last edited:
There is no commercially available passenger car oil filter that has insufficient flow capability. "Flow" has got to be just about the biggest bunch of nonsense when discussed here on Bitog.

Yeah I don't really care about the high performance "flow". They were just on sale so I thought why not. I am a little bit nervous about the filtration capabilities and at what microns. I have them and I'll use them and upload pictures. We will at least see how they hold up.

Originally Posted by Micahmcmeen
Yeah I don't really care about the high performance "flow". They were just on sale so I thought why not. I am a little bit nervous about the filtration capabilities and at what microns. I have them and I'll use them and upload pictures. We will at least see how they hold up.

I'm not here to knock a great filter like Fram Ultra. I'll probably buy them next for my Korean vehicles, provided they aren't louvers.
Or I may look at the newer Mobil-1 design - that are rumored to be a Cadillac version of the Supertech filter, with Ecore cage, silicone ADBV and synthetic blend media.

I'm just anti-louvers these days, for seeing so many with inconsistent sized openings.

I think the plastic center tube is really going to get popular in the near future. Just as long as they don't get cheap and space the horizontal bars too far apart.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Some want the best oil filter parts that still allow increased flow... and there's no such thing as a high flow and high trapping filter. One cannot have both.....

Not true. Depending on media design and material you can have very good flow (meaning less delta-p) and high efficiency. If you look at the Flow vs Delta-P of the Ford Racing oil filter vs that of a PureOne or the Ultra (all rated at 99% @20u or better), they are all within just a few PSI of delta-p with each other. No engine with a positive displacement oil pump is going to care about a small dealt-p difference like that.

You've been making this statement for years, yet never post up any technical data to support your misconceptions. You have any Flow vs Delta-P curves of any OEM filters that show they flow better than a Ford Racing oil filter?

No need for technical data. You can't have both and I don't care what math or some scientist says.
If Ultra was the best of both worlds, all vehicles would be wearing one..... all race drivers too. All competitors would be copying it also, because lowest bidder wins with automakers and NASCAR.

You stop your rubbish of the past years that any piece of oil filter media fiber does contain best flow and best trapping - then put into an oil filter called Fram Ultra. Just stop the delta jibber please, or take your discovery to the automakers and Nascar, whom have probably already thrown out people with the same ideals from their offices.
I think I'm done with this thread.

Last edited:
You get busted for an unsubstantiated and unfounded statement so you negate and minimize actual facts over personal opinion, and then say "I'm done with this thread."

Not unusual and not unexpected.
No need for technical data. You can't have both and I don't care what math or some scientist says.
If Ultra was the best of both worlds, all vehicles would be wearing one..... all race drivers too. All competitors would be copying it also, because lowest bidder wins with automakers and NASCAR.

You stop your rubbish of the past years that any piece of oil filter media fiber does contain best flow and best trapping - then put into an oil filter called Fram Ultra. Just stop the delta jibber please, or take your discovery to the automakers and Nascar, whom have probably already thrown out people with the same ideals from their offices.
I think I'm done with this thread.

Wrong once more, you certainly can have both these days. You have this misconception and seem to tout quite often. No need for technical data - Ok, lol.

Strawman argument that has no validity to the discussion.

You stop your rubbish of the past years that any piece of oil filter media fiber does contain best flow and best trapping - then put into an oil filter called Fram Ultra.

What are you even trying to say? As long as you've been here you'd think maybe some of the technical info discussed over the years with links to back things up would sink in just a little bit ... lol.

Just stop the delta jibber please, or take your discovery to the automakers and Nascar, whom have probably already thrown out people with the same ideals from their offices. I think I'm done with this thread.

Do you understand the flow vs delta-p phenomena of oil filters, and positive displacement oil pumps? Sometimes I wonder ... as burned in misconceptions are hard to break it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back