Genuine Toyota or aftermarket brake pads

The coated Raybestos rotors are the same base rotor as their R-Line, only with the added coating. Got that info directly from the manufacturer.

There is conflicting advice because there is more than one good choice. OEM is USUALLY the safest, but not cheapest, choice.

Whatever you put on, to have the best chance of a trouble-free brake life, use the proper lubes in the proper places, and check the rotor for runout once assembled.

I feel like good brake pads are a dime a dozen. I would buy a high quality aftermarket part and pay half as much. Has anyone recommended turning the rotors? Does anyone do that anymore? I know ETCG does it in house and swears by it. Problem is you have to use another vehicle to take the rotors to get done.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by Leo99
[The rotors looks good to me but I read it's good idea to replace them. I'm on the fence if I should replace the rotors.

Unless they are too thin or causing a pulsation, there is no need to. You read it's a good idea to replace them because parts stores and shops are in business sell parts and service. If you do replace them, make sure you clean the hub real good for any rust or corrosion.

IME, out of 10 vehicles, 8 or 9 will either require new front rotors or for the old ones to be machined. At least around here, most cars will display some level of brake vibration due to the front rotors. But the rear brakes can usually be pad-slapped at least once.

Originally Posted by 50jeffrey
The coated Raybestos rotors are the same base rotor as their R-Line, only with the added coating. Got that info directly from the manufacturer.

This is becoming more common: painted/coated economy rotors. Raybestos was the first, then Centric and Durago started doing the same.

Originally Posted by jayjr1105
I feel like good brake pads are a dime a dozen. I would buy a high quality aftermarket part and pay half as much. Has anyone recommended turning the rotors? Does anyone do that anymore? I know ETCG does it in house and swears by it. Problem is you have to use another vehicle to take the rotors to get done.

If you have the option to have the existing rotors machined using an on-car brake lathe then it is definitely an excellent option. In fact, it is better than new rotors...assuming the existing rotors have no rust issues and are OE. But for most people a new rotor makes more sense.

If you absolutely cannot tolerate how the car changes the way it brake, Toyota.

If you want to save money and good enough being good enough, high quality aftermarket.

Akebono pads are good. If the discs are good don't replace them. Bosch makes pretty descent pads also. The main thing when you do pads is change the brake fluid also. Pay attention to the areas that require lubrication. You can bleed the old fluid through the calipers.

Originally Posted by benjamming
Why are you replacing rotors already?
Anyway, I would stick with Toyota rotors.
What do you prioritize from pads? OEM performance - stopping, dust, etc.? Akebono would have been a potential supplier & provide very similar pad performance to OEM. Let price determine between Akebono & OEM.
Note that you can get Toyota parts from online dealerships and save ~ 30%. Apologies if you already knew that & have that factored into your pricing.

I also recommend sticking with Toyota OEM brake pads and rotors. It is worth it in the long run. You also live where there is snow, the OEM will definitely handle the rust better.

The Toyota parts online offers discount, but they don't offer free shipping over a certain amount of money purchased do they?

I had issues with Toyota rotors on both Land Cruiser and Sienna. Now, I like more performance oriented brakes and really do not care about longevity.
As soona s I got Sienna I had same problem I had on Land Crusier, vibrating rotors. Got EBC rotors and Green Stuff pads. They improve performance greatly. Probably will not last as long as OE, and they do dust more, but I do not care. One thing about EBC brakes, they solved my issue of vibrating rotors on Land Cruiser Prado.

On my Tacoma I put OEM pads and kept the original factory rotors on the first time I replaced them and then the second time I went with NAPA ultra premium coated rotors and Adaptive One pads. Those were a great combo, my only complaint was the pads squealed a tad when it was super cold until they warmed up. The feel and stopping power was a little better than the factory pads I think. I traded that truck in not too long after I put those on it, I think I put around 2k miles on it with those but I'd go with them again. I think I'm going to put that same combo (napa) on my sisters 05 Trailblazer when I do her brakes next time.

My 2016 Lexus Nx200t had 81k when I felt the braking action left a lot to be desired. So l ordered the Bosch Quietcast rotors and the Advic OEM pads, and as an experiment I ordered the economy Bosch blue pads. My rotors are in good shape so I decided to do a pad slap with the blue pads . To be honest the Bosch Blue pads have performed as good as the OEM when new and no pedal pulsating after 4K. I will eventually do a proper rotor and pad replacement new hardware etc.

Another vote for NAPA Ultra Premium rotors and AdaptiveOne pads. Best feel, performance and rotor appearance I ever had, and that was on a 2005 Pilot, a vehicle known for being hard on cheap brakes.

Originally Posted by GMBoy
Raybestos rotors and their EHT pads. Better than stock.

I use these pads they last definitely give them a shot

Originally Posted by GMBoy
Raybestos rotors and their EHT pads. Better than stock.

I've been using these quite a lot. They've become my go to over Centric pads and rotors. Coated rotors are definitely a must in the rust belt ... better than stock? very subjective but I haven't had any returns from customers.

Originally Posted by edyvw
I had issues with Toyota rotors on both Land Cruiser and Sienna. Now, I like more performance oriented brakes and really do not care about longevity.
As soona s I got Sienna I had same problem I had on Land Crusier, vibrating rotors. Got EBC rotors and Green Stuff pads. They improve performance greatly. Probably will not last as long as OE, and they do dust more, but I do not care. One thing about EBC brakes, they solved my issue of vibrating rotors on Land Cruiser Prado.

I put Herth&Buss coated on my Prado...they are WP for almost 2yrs now...

Yaris also needs my attention.....ATE is OEM...most probably I will refurbish it with these....

....or Zimmermann. <----- are those Any good?

Toyota do not manufacture brake pads, so there is no such thing as 'Genuine Toyota Brake Pads'.

They approach most or all of the pad manufacturers and ask who can commit to producing X million pairs for less than Y price - whoever can do it quickest/cheapest gets the contract. Somewhere along the production/distribution/retail line, a Toyota sticker is put on the box.

You can buy any pad that fits, and if you take the time to heat-cycle and bed the pad properly then it will be fine.

Remember that supply chains change all the time but recently we had a discussion in whihc it was deterined that Akebono make a lot of pads to order for Toyota
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/1718216/toyota-brake-pad-questions
This isn’t true for any Toyota parts. They don’t just slap a sticker on there. The parts are made to Toyotas standard in the same factory different quality Parts are made. Toyota overseas the production of their genuine parts. Same reason why denso oil filters be oem Toyota denso filters are not the same thing. The list goes on and on

This isn’t true for any Toyota parts. They don’t just slap a sticker on there. The parts are made to Toyotas standard in the same factory different quality Parts are made. Toyota overseas the production of their genuine parts. Same reason why denso oil filters be oem Toyota denso filters are not the same thing. The list goes on and on
To add to what you're saying.. Did you know that Toyota makes their own part toolings and when the production run of parts is done (for that period of time or number of parts), Toyota takes that tooling back not allowing the supplier to make Toyota's parts without Toyota's name on it. I kind of think that's awesome they have that level of control over their parts.

Back