Help pick gear lube, 75W-90, 1987 Toy 4x4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please help me choose my gear oil...

I'm looking to service my truck axles and transfer box.
I have a 1987 Toyota 4x4 truck. The axles and transfer box takes, 75W-90 GL5 (approx. 6 qts total).

I plan on using RedLine MT90 for the gear box. I cant afford to used redline throughout...

I have to keep this project on a budget. It has to be synthetic and meet or exceed the OEM recommendations.

Preferably from rockauto, but any lower cost vendor is OK:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/tools/drivetrain,fluid+/+chemical,gear+oil,11394

I'm thinking of the, Lucas SAE 75W-90 Synthetic Gear Oil:
https://lucasoil.com/pdf/TDS_Lucas-Synthetic-SAE-75W-90.pdf

Last edited:
I'm not as much a fan of redline as some. I found that Amsoil made a better MTL, and their severe gear differential oil is hard to beat. SomId look at Amsoil for those applications.

But in other applications, I've had no issues or concerns with using Mobil1, or supertech when you can actually find it.

Do you need a fluid with a limited slip additive? If you don't then I recommend Mobil Delvac-1 75W-90. You can order it from Summit Racing for $10,99 per quart. This fluid is difficult to beat for the price.

Originally Posted by Chris142
Autozone has Chevron delo synthetic for $8 /qt.

I rarely read about those who actually service MTs and diffs complain about cost. If you really are limited by cost, then I'd say that ANY OTS oil that meets your spec will be WAY better than not doing the maintenance at all.

How often are you changing the gear oil, btw?

Originally Posted by FowVay
Do you need a fluid with a limited slip additive? If you don't then I recommend Mobil Delvac-1 75W-90. You can order it from Summit Racing for $10,99 per quart. This fluid is difficult to beat for the price.

I have an open diff, unfortunately. I'm also trying to get better fuel economy too. I had one negative experience, where 5W-30 synthetic oil caused my 2001 Accord to get poor fuel economy.

Originally Posted by gathermewool
Originally Posted by Chris142
Autozone has Chevron delo synthetic for $8 /qt.

I rarely read about those who actually service MTs and diffs complain about cost. If you really are limited by cost, then I'd say that ANY OTS oil that meets your spec will be WAY better than not doing the maintenance at all.

How often are you changing the gear oil, btw?

It was last done around 2005-7 time frame. I've driven maybe 20k miles or less.

Again, I'll ask whether this is a critical piece of equipment, needed to keep a company afloat or just your DD. If you can't afford $120 for top-of-the-line fluids all around, then I'd recommend that you consider what across the board have likely used, which costs less than half that, just like Chris142 recommended.

Originally Posted by MRYGearHead
FowVay said:
I had one negative experience, where 5W-30 synthetic oil caused my 2001 Accord to get poor fuel economy.

Unfortunately, that's just not likely to have been the case at all. If you're hoping to spend $50-120 on lubes to make major gains in fuel economy you're barking up the wrong tree, bud.

Originally Posted by gathermewool
Again, I'll ask whether this is a critical piece of equipment, needed to keep a company afloat or just your DD. If you can't afford $120 for top-of-the-line fluids all around, then I'd recommend that you consider what across the board have likely used, which costs less than half that, just like Chris142 recommended.

Originally Posted by MRYGearHead
FowVay said:
I had one negative experience, where 5W-30 synthetic oil caused my 2001 Accord to get poor fuel economy.

Unfortunately, that's just not likely to have been the case at all. If you're hoping to spend $50-120 on lubes to make major gains in fuel economy you're barking up the wrong tree, bud.

When I switched back to some other synthetic brand, I went back to normal.

This is my offload vehicle and backup vehicle. Its parked more than driven. On average, its driven once a month, just for good measure.
It gets 10-14 MPH in town and 14-16 on the highway. I'd like to see the highway get closer to the 21-24 MPG that others get.

Originally Posted by blufeb95
If I recall correctly, and Warren Performance Packaging

Thanks blufeb95!

OP sorry about the abbreviations.

"Any" full synthetic would work perfectly for you. Cheapest or prettiest bottle.
cheers3.gif

I've mainly been using Valvoline Synpower gear oils in the 75w140

otherwise its been Chevron or Supertech in the 75w90 as they are both good.

I don't really ever feel the need to spend an ungodly amount of money on gear oils.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back