2018 Passat GT VR6 - Castrol OE 5w40

I have been letting the dealer do the oil changes on my Passat since purchased new at the recommended 10k OCIs. I wanted to take a peek and see how the engine was doing on break in, but I was mostly interested in ensuring the dealer oil was standing up to the OCI under my use. I am not interested in going longer than 10k but it looks good to me. I hear that VW may be switching to Mobil so not sure what the car will be getting next time in, or even if my dealer will be changing at all.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Looks great. I wouldn't worry one bit about the slightly low viscosity numbers.

I have run all my VWs on recommended Castrol for the past eight years. All changes were and are done by the local dealer. I have had NO issues., even after long winters with short trips. Now, I do change the ooil in my DGI VWs every 5000 miles but both my diesels were done every 10,000 miles.

Yes it was the second change, third fill counting the factory fill. I drained the factory fill at 2300 miles (which was likely a VW 504 0w30) and changed to Valvoline MST 5w40 until the first dealer change at 10k. This UOA is the first fill (dealer) of Castrol Pro OE 5w40. It was dealer changed again with the same oil at 20k which is still in it.

The all Grp III Castrol 5w40 gets dogged on here a good bit compared to it's 0w40 counterpart due to the 0w40s POA content, but it seems to work quite well and I am pleased with the results. I have pulled 3 other UOA's off here in the same VW engine all looked good.

I see no reason to deviate at this time, but there has been talk of VW switching to Mobil I don't know if that applies to 40 grade VW 502 stuff or not. Most discussion has focused on the 20 grade VW 508 oil.

Engine looks very healthy but if dealer switches to Mobil another UOA peek will be in order to see how that is doing. Or I may just take in my own Castrol 0w40 if they'll let me.

*11.2 cSt viscosity is considered "low" after 9.5K miles ? That's more than most oils start out at as new (lol !)
Originally Posted by jayjr1105

Originally Posted by KCJeep
Yes it was the second change, third fill counting the factory fill. I drained the factory fill at 2300 miles (which was likely a VW 504 0w30) and changed to Valvoline MST 5w40 until the first dealer change at 10k. This UOA is the first fill (dealer) of Castrol Pro OE 5w40. It was dealer changed again with the same oil at 20k which is still in it.

The all Grp III Castrol 5w40 gets dogged on here a good bit compared to it's 0w40 counterpart due to the 0w40s POA content, but it seems to work quite well and I am pleased with the results. I have pulled 3 other UOA's off here in the same VW engine all looked good.

I see no reason to deviate at this time, but there has been talk of VW switching to Mobil I don't know if that applies to 40 grade VW 502 stuff or not. Most discussion has focused on the 20 grade VW 508 oil.

Engine looks very healthy but if dealer switches to Mobil another UOA peek will be in order to see how that is doing. Or I may just take in my own Castrol 0w40 if they'll let me.

Tim: nice UOA, thank you for sharing
smile.gif

Originally Posted by ChrisD46
*11.2 cSt viscosity is considered "low" after 9.5K miles ? That's more than most oils start out at as new (lol !)

European oils are much more stringent.
One of demands of these approvals is "stay in grade" performance over OCI. This oil dropped too much for my taste. This 5W40 starts at around 14cst, if older version. If newer it is actually 14.2cst.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by ChrisD46

European oils are much more stringent.
One of demands of these approvals is "stay in grade" performance over OCI. This oil dropped too much for my taste. This 5W40 starts at around 14cst, if older version. If newer it is actually 14.2cst.

Going to assume you prefer Castrol 0w-40 as your go to?

Back