What is the best kit for headlight renewal apperance/longevity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this question was asked multiple times in the past. Looking to do my headlights on the Acura here next week when the weather breaks. Where are we at with best kit to do headlights and longevity?

Thanks, Dale

35.gif

I have like 4 family vehicles that need this done, wondering if wet sanding with a DA & ultra-fine paper might be easier...

Save yourself a lot of time, money and effort and just find some new light housings. After spending way more than i should on different fixes that failed I found some cheap new headlight housings on Amazon. Yes they are CH made but still water clear and holding up well. Problem is the sun doesn't just deteriorate the surface. The plastic is colored/damaged deeply. So short of sanding the plastic paper thin then re-polishing the problem is still there.

If you're a Sam's Club member, they offer headlight restoration for, I believe, $40. We had it done on the Sienna and it turned out quite well.

Here's the ChrisFix method. This worked well for me for about 3 years, then the clear coat peeled. I would use this method again.

There is an online store called "headlightdepo" that sells the entire assembly with new bulbs for extremely low prices. I bought both sides for our 2001 Chevy Impala for less than $90 including shipping, and they have new bulbs already installed.

Also, there are videos on YouTube for many different vehicles on how to remove and replace the headlight assembly.

Did my 08 Nissan last year for the first time with the Mequiars kit which includes a spray coating. The box says the polishing/coating should last a year. The lenses were fine until last year.

Using a drill with kit's pad stuck on a matching size polishing disk works way better than doing it by hand. My '09 Pontiac and '12 Mazda are still crystal clear (maybe better material?).

Doesn't matter what kit or method you use. Once the lights have yellowed and been sanded the UV protection is gone and the polycarbonate will oxidize and yellow again in far less time than they originally did. You have to clear over them with 2-part clear coat if you want them to last.

Last edited:
Under $10.00 get blue painters tape, 400&800 grit wet sandpaper, can of clear gloss spray paint for plastic, with ultraviolet protection.

Clean lens with soapy water, mask, sand keeping clean with water, dry, stagger several coats. In under an hour you have new looking lens that will last many, many oil changes.

Originally Posted by CaptainHazelwood
Doesn't matter what kit or method you use. Once the lights have yellowed and been sanded the UV protection is gone and the polycarbonate will oxidize and yellow again in far less time than they originally did. You have to clear over them with 2-part clear coat if you want them to last.

Not quite. This is marketing to extract more money, then people just follow it without assessing the long term difference.

Clear coat just adds expense and time, then time again later to strip it all off to refinish them again. It's quicker, easier, and cheaper in the long run to only put a clear wax on type polymer sealant on.

If you only put a polishing/cleaning type sealant on, you may never again have to do more than that. Worst case you can just put a dab of toothpaste on a rag to clarify them when you wash the vehicle.

This whole market for "kits" is mostly for people who have no refinishing supplies. If you have wet sandpaper, or rubbing compound, whatever it takes for the initial cut depending on how rough it is, then successively finer grit in stages, just about anything will work. Believe it or not they even make goop called plastic polish. I know, it's hard to believe.
wink.gif

New lenses are an option for people who demand perfection, but could be out of place if the rest of the vehicle is not similarly perfect, and for some vehicles are a lot of work for minimal gain over a properly restored factory lens. Do make sure you aim them properly.

Last edited:
That's why two-part clear is recommended. It dries hard like the clear coat on the car, last a very long time, and require only minimal maintenance. The hardware store clear used in the Chris Fix video will not have that sort of longevity.

Originally Posted by Kawiguy454
Save yourself a lot of time, money and effort and just find some new light housings. After spending way more than i should on different fixes that failed I found some cheap new headlight housings on Amazon. Yes they are CH made but still water clear and holding up well. Problem is the sun doesn't just deteriorate the surface. The plastic is colored/damaged deeply. So short of sanding the plastic paper thin then re-polishing the problem is still there.

If done properly, refinishing is better for those not in the Sunbelt. Your OEM are better than cheap aftermarket and worth doing right.

The problem with cheapo headlights is the atrocious build quality. Ivecused the Meguires kit with good results. There are three different kits depending on the amount of restoration needed.

I myself have used the meguires restore kit with the buffing wheel that goes on a drill and had great results, the headlights looked like new afterwards and the kit I used I was able to do 3 vehicles with.

the fact that I had more then 1 vehicle with yellowed lights was enough to justify to try the kit versus buying new headlight assemblies for 3 vehicles.

Blue Magic headlight plastic polish on a 3in wool polishing wheel and my power drill hasn't failed me yet! Finish with their sealant and reapply a couple times per year and they'll last quite a while.

I use a Magic Eraser and then just keep spray wax on them regularly. Man I miss glass headlights!!

All these high dollar kits and the best renew is a little bit of turtlewax chrome polish on a cheap buffing wheel.
No screwing around it works almost immediately and on my babes scion it lasts about 9-10 months

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back