Time for the 10k/1 year oil changes on my TDI's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Using Red Line this time after Ravenol last year. Strictly price driven for my preferred oils. $115 for these 12 quarts from Jeg's.

20200323_140442.jpg

About 3-4 gallons every 10k miles. I will fill both now and refill in August or so.

Last edited:
You can get Castrol EDGE 5W-30 C3 at WM with very similar numbers to your Euro-Series RL for half price.

Originally Posted by maineiac
I don't believe the Edge 5w30 meets VW spec 504/507

Scratch that, upon some research I see that the Redline is now 507 approved....

I personally want to try the Revenol, hear its one of the best there is. Too bad it isn't widely available on a shelf. I hate mail ordering oils....

Last edited:
Originally Posted by racin4ds
maineiac said:
I hate mail ordering oils....

I've never had a leaker-by-mail yet and that's the only reason (I can think of) why someone would hate getting oil in the mail.

Last edited:

I personally want to try the Revenol, hear its one of the best there is. Too bad it isn't widely available on a shelf. I hate mail ordering oils....

Which Redline is 507.00 approved???

Originally Posted by edyvw

Its not approved, only recommended
https://www.redlineoil.com/euro-series-5w30-motor-oil

With the rampant misunderstanding of what constitutes an approval (or a license for that matter) it's almost to the point that owners should get some training on how to read an SDS before being allowed to take a car off site.

Red Line Professional-Series 5W30TD EURO Motor Oil is in fact VW 504 00 and 507 00 approved so it depends on which Red Line product is being discussed here. But at $44 for 5 quarts it is a somewhat more expensive alternative.

Originally Posted by Olas
Originally Posted by edyvw

Its not approved, only recommended
https://www.redlineoil.com/euro-series-5w30-motor-oil

I know that, but some people don't.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Nevertheless it has VW approval and is entirely appropriate for use in those vehicles requiring the approval.

Sure, but one can find better products with same approvals.

op,

Do you have any 10K uoa for your tdi?

Just curious , i keep reading on bitog that with gdi and/or tdi, it's better to do more frequent oci with a cheaper oil than a longer oci with a fancy oil ... e.g. do two 5K vs. one 10K.

Originally Posted by OilUzer
op,

Do you have any 10K uoa for your tdi?

Just curious , i keep reading on bitog that with gdi and/or tdi, it's better to do more frequent oci with a cheaper oil than a longer oci with a fancy oil ... e.g. do two 5K vs. one 10K.

I think you're confusing TDI with GDI and TGDI (turbo gasoline direct injection). As far as I know diesels in general usually can go longer on an oil change.

What are the benefits of running an expensive ester based oil in a TDI if you are changing every 10 000 miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back