Sprinter van-2.7 diesel by Mercedes Benz-oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello to all. It's been a very long time since my last visit. The hurricanes and all of the problems that come with it has had me very busy. Since my last visit I have purchased a 2005 Sprinter van with a 2.7 diesel made by Mercedes. It's a great van! I'm having a problem understanding the oil type and change interval issues that some seem to have with this engine. It has an on-board computer that says to chnge the oil at 10,000 miles (9.5 quarts). MB says that only europeon Mobile 1 or Delvac Mobile with a 228.3 or 229.5 rating (I think) should be used. The dealer wants $201.00 per oil/filter change, that's exhorbant! I want to do the changes myself (I think), but am concerned about possibly voiding the warranty if I do (according to my local dealer). Does anyone here own a Sprinter van? What should I do/use? Is the computers interval the safest interval or should I do something else? Help, please!

I've been driving the Sprinter since early 2003. I use the oil life monitor myself. I use it for delivery type applications with a healthy mix of city/highway, so I seem to get more than 10k out of my oil. I've even gone 16k once on Mobil1 0w-40 before the OLM told me to change the oil.

I would never take it to the dealer. That is a rip-off. The filter is about $10 pretty much everywhere and the oil should only cost you about $50 for a decent synthetic. I've used Shell Rotella Synthetic 5w-40, Mobil1 0w-40, and most recently Mobil1 5w-40 Truck and SUV Synthetic. The manual even says that you can use 15w-40 as an alternative.

Good luck with your van, I hope your's doesn't end up in the shop like mine has. Mine is nothing but trouble for me.

Tell your dealer he's full of it. FedEx uses these vans and they don't take their's back to the dealer for oil changes. A friend of mine has 3 of these vans, one passenger, and two delivery. He changes his own oil at his shop. He buys the filters from our local Dodge dealer and he uses Mobil Delvac 1 5W40. I'm pretty sure he uses the oil life monitor, but I can check with him if you want me to. And, his warranties are not voided.

Well, if you could check that would be great. Normally the manual would tell you that not having the dealer change the oil will not affect the warranty, but I can't find any info on that in my book.

I've checked several source for a fleece filter and can't seem to find any company that knows what I'm talking about. MB recommends fleece filters, what ever that is.

pmwalter: what kind of problems are you having, I thought they were nearly trouble free vans?

The dealer says doing the oil change myself will void my warranty, is this true? How can I be sure if its not? What is a fleece filter?

"The dealer says doing the oil change myself will void my warranty, is this true? How can I be sure if its not? " Telephone Dodge Customer Service
Contact Us by Telephone
1-800-992-1997
M-F 8:00AM-5:00PM
All Time Zones

Contact Us by Mail:
Dodge Customer Assistance Center
P.O. Box 21-8004
Auburn Hills, MI 48321-8004

and ask them exactly how to prove your maintenance to protect your warranty. I think keeping receipts for oil and filters plus a maintenance log will suffice. Or, find a good independent shop to do the work for you and retain their receipt that details the work, date, and mileage.

I think both Schaeffer #700 15W-40 syn blend oil and #9000 5W-40 full syn oil meets the specs for your engine. Those would be my choices. Bob Winters, the "Bob" in Bob is the oil guy is in Jacksonville, Telephone number: 904-591-0622

And, you can always buy oil filters at any Dodge dealership...ask for a better price than retail, especially if you buy 3 or more at a time.

Ken

From what I understand, the oil monitoring system operates on a principle that measures electrical resistance in the oil. I honestly don't know anymore than that. I have an 04 Sprinter with 25,000. I have not had one single problem with my van, and I personally know several others who have not had any problems either.

There was an ERG valve recall, but that was taken care of very easily. I run 9 quarts T&SUV and 1 quart 15-40 Redline, but I would not be afraid to use any quality diesel CH4 (+) oil that suits the climate for it's intended use. I change my oil @ 8,000 to 10,000 and I don't wait for the ASSYST to tell me. The ASSYST can possibly safely extend the oil drain beyond normal, but I don't want to take it out further than what I feel is reasonable.

BTW, you can buy the Mann filters from any Sprinter dealer or on eBay for $8-$10. The filters are ridiculously easy to replace.

cheers.gif

Nothing can match Sprinter's available ASSYST maintenance monitoring system. This technology is so refined, it can stretch the already impressive 10,000-mile standard oil-change interval up to an incredible 20,000 miles. Is this statement ** or marketing. How does it work to save you $ on oil changes.
dunno.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back