ISO 220 Equivalent

I have a gearbox that says to use ISO 220 gear oil or equivalent. I cannot find any oil in my area that says ISO 220. I understand that it's basically 90 weight oil. Can I just use a 75-90 synthetic? Please school me on this.

What's the application? A SAE 75W gear oil drops pretty far below ISO 220. Does it specify GL1, GL4, or GL5?

Originally Posted by Scuder
What's the application? A SAE 75W gear oil drops pretty far below ISO 220. Does it specify GL1, GL4, or GL5?

Thanks for your reply the manual only says ISO 220 or equivalent. I've scoured the internet and cannot find what the equivalent would be.

Originally Posted by Scuder

thumbsup2.gif

Look at the chart below and find ISO 220, read across, and you will see the equivalent viscosities for various industry grade systems.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/viscosity-charts/

The additive package determine whether or not the lubricant is a hydraulic fluid, gear oil, or engine oil. Most modern Gear trains have a protection rating of either GL-4 or GL-5.

Last edited:
The question has already been asked. What is the application. ISO 220 is usually an industrial viscosity designation. GL-4 and 5 are usually automotive adpacks. The chemistries are usually different. Viscosity read across charts are usually based on 95VI oils and the ISO 220 does align with SAE 90.

Originally Posted by drwindmill
I have a gearbox that says to use ISO 220 gear oil or equivalent. I cannot find any oil in my area that says ISO 220. I understand that it's basically 90 weight oil. Can I just use a 75-90 synthetic? Please school me on this.

ISO 220 is an industrial gear oil whose KV@40*C is defined at 220 cSt +/- 10 % , i.e 198 - 242 cSt .

It's north american counterpart is AGMA 5 R&O gear oil , and alternatively AGMA 5EP Extreme Pressure gear oil .

Most modern automotive SAE 90 gear oil miss the KV@40*C by a small margin though close , you need its equivalent in automotive SAE 110 gear oil which isn't available in almost all markets .

No, you can't use automotive SAE 75W90 whose KV@40*C is typically 100 - 105 cSt , i.e equivalent to ISO 100 industrial gear oil and it is 2 viscosity grades thinner than that of ISO 220 .

[Linked Image]

Edit:If you must consider an automotive gear oil due to availability and price issue , please consider a 85W140 with a KV@40*C closer to 242 cSt .

Last edited:
AGMA uses the ISO VG system plus grades 2200 and 3200 for the past several years. They don't use the old numbering system or the suffix letters.

Originally Posted by RDMgr
AGMA uses the ISO VG system plus grades 2200 and 3200 for the past several years. They don't use the old numbering system or the suffix letters.

+1

Back