Citizens Insurance - anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning from sunny west MI folks,

It is about time I switch my insurance,

My banks has a insurance lady who runs it by her stash of companies and she came up with:

Citizens Insurance - Hanover Insurance Group (subs)

the quote for auto was 10% lower with increased collision deductible from $250 > $500

Home was 20% lower, from $1100 a year to $880 a year.

I do not have any claims/tickets for both auto or home.

What say ya?

I have heard of Hanover. I would not have an issue going with a Hanover insurance company.

There are a few websites that scan many companies for car insurance, maybe even home insurance.

I have not heard either of the companies, so I can not comment on that
BUT
Originally Posted by Donald

There are a few websites that scan many companies for car insurance, maybe even home insurance.

Pls do not do this i.e. searching through aggregating websites. I made that mistake once and instead of getting quotes for all, I started getting a deluge of emails asking to contact the agents, multiple agents per insurance company. I put a fake phone number but a correct mail ID. It was frustrating to deal with that. There may be indeed some legit website that does not do this i.e. giving your info out to the agents. I don't know of such a website, yet. So I never do that anymore.

Last edited:
We had Citizens Insurance for a number of years and they seemed to be as good as anyone. We currently have Frankenmuth Insurance. It seems no matter which company we use, after about 3 -5 years, the insurance rate seems to start going up more than normal for no good reason. We then go price shopping again for the best deal, change companies, rinse and repeat. I have no allegiance to an insurance sales person or company. Those days of patronizing an establishment regardless of cost due to good personal service are mostly (not all) gone.

We had Hanover/Citizens for a bit, but switched to MEEMIC (owned by AAA Michigan). The agency we used was purchased and customer service declined. After the first year Citizens' rates climbed a lot. Seems to be normal for most of the larger insurers. Slight increase the first year with ever ratcheting premiums as the years progress. While auto and homeowner rates are similar, the umbrella rates at MEEMIC were a lot lower. The service from our MEEMIC agent has been excellent too.

We have $500 broad form on two older vehicles, 500K liability ('13 Subaru, '07 Honda) and pay $965/6 mo., $660 for home (270K value, 500K liability, sewer backup, other extras)), $300 for $2M umbrella. Very good rates for Michigan, probably not so good for other states.

If you have kids it seems to vary a lot. We had Progressive which has pretty reasonable rates for families with teenage drivers. The next drops come when the youngest are 22 and 25, but different insurers have different policies.

You just have to shop around. I expect that this year claim rates will be exceptionally low since people are not driving much. We are only going out once per week. I'm putting more miles on my bicycle than car.

Last edited:
I had Citizens/Hanover for years. Price was good, agent was sharp, claim experiences were decent. I shopped prices every couple years, and they were the lowest (or close enough not to switch). I switched a few years ago because The Hartford thru AARP gave me a killer price.

Originally Posted by Spartanfool
I had Citizens/Hanover for years. Price was good, agent was sharp, claim experiences were decent. I shopped prices every couple years, and they were the lowest (or close enough not to switch). I switched a few years ago because The Hartford thru AARP gave me a killer price.

Had Hartford through AARP about a decade ago. Cheap rates then they'd bundle it with expensive home and umbrella.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back