Time for a portable HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.
My USB powered Toshiba passport filled up yesterday so it's time to buy another one. I've been happy with the disk but a few years ago had to get a new enclosure because the cable port went bad.

Any suggestions for the brand? Not looking to spend big dollars so and SSD is out and the size I'm looking for is 1nor 2 TB, not more.

It will be hooked up to a MacBook Air or very occasionally to Surface Pro.

I bought this a couple of months ago, it was on sale it was around $40: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-eas...hard-drive-black/5792402.p?skuId=5792402.

These things are incredibly light, I can see why an ad had a student with a backpack. 2 TB of data that weighs less than a stapler (sorry not sure what else to compare it with). Anyways, Id look for something on sale, even WD has other portable/USB storage brand lines. I'm not brand loyal, but typically WD is pretty cheap, and some online studies have put their hdds in the top ranks in terms of reliability & not breakign down, so I usually just buy them.

Last edited:
Can recommend - Maxone 1TB Ultra Slim Portable External Hard Drive HDD USB 3.0 for PC, Mac, Laptop, PS4, Xbox one For <$50 on Amazon Prime

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
Any suggestions for the brand? Not looking to spend big dollars so and SSD is out and the size I'm looking for is 1nor 2 TB, not more.

I have a number of portable WD drives, 2TB, 4TB. They've been working fine for me as backup storage or even main home media storage.

Coming from people I know who used to work for Seagate and now WD:

The Seagate drives today are better than before (but statistic says it is still not as good as WD or Toshiba according to BlackBlaze). If you are getting a portable drive get the 3.5 inch ones, they are heavier so the chances of you bumping it when it is writing, and the write head got bumped a track over and write to the next track is a lot lower. If you need a smaller drive for portable need get an SSD instead of mechanical 2.5 inch.

Thanks, everyone. I found a 2TB Toshiba Canvio for $60 - the cheapest I could find among the big 4 manufacturers. Hopefully this one will have a better connection port compared to my old one.

whatever you do just dont get one of the stupid ones they ninja updated to SMR "shingled" recording

they are horrible.. slower than a 15 year old harddrive.. on writes.

I just ordered a 2TB Seagate Backup Plus Slim from Staples (available in three colors). I had to add a 55 cent item to get the price above $60 so I could use a $20 off $60 one-time coupon code that was sent to me in the mail. I see $15 off codes were posted at bensbargains.com Should be delivered to me Friday. $15 off with code 30231 [Exp 3/27]

Search for one of these model numbers (Black, STHN2000400; Blue, STHN2000402 or Red, STHN2000403) and add Item #: 831885 for the 55 cent add-on. Of course, you can add anything you want to get over the $60 but this worked for me.

Generally, I use Western Digital HD's but have had no issues with Seagate and in a past life I did IT support work and have had about every brand fail but all are pretty reliable.

Originally Posted by Rick505
I just ordered a 2TB Seagate Backup Plus Slim from Staples (available in three colors). I had to add a 55 cent item to get the price above $60 so I could use a $20 off $60 one-time coupon code that was sent to me in the mail. I see $15 off codes were posted at bensbargains.com Should be delivered to me Friday. $15 off with code 30231 [Exp 3/27]

Search for one of these model numbers (Black, STHN2000400; Blue, STHN2000402 or Red, STHN2000403) and add Item #: 831885 for the 55 cent add-on. Of course, you can add anything you want to get over the $60 but this worked for me.

Generally, I use Western Digital HD's but have had no issues with Seagate and in a past life I did IT support work and have had about every brand fail but all are pretty reliable.

Placed the order for this and canceled the order for the Toshiba.

I would just buy a 1gb SSD major brand for around $90
and then buy a usb to sata cable and use it as external or mount it as internal as needed.

here is why:
small
light
no additional powersupply
dual use, resuse cable, drive later

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back