Rear drum shoe replacement pricing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

My 05 neon is getting rear shoess replaced at a local place that has done my brakes in the past with hood results. I was quoted $158 but have a $30 off coupon. Does this sound reasonable? Not sure what brake prices are in your area. If it were rear discs i would have replaced the pads myself. I still can't believe a vehicle made in 2005 had drim brakes.

That sounds reasonable to me!
yes, it is surprising that drum brakes still exist. On our 2014 Sentra the two lower models had rear drums - rear disc was an upgrade.

Do not know , I have never paid for a brake job , in 50 years . Always DIY .

I personally dislike doing drum brakes . And we do not even live in the salt / rust belt .

Best I remember , the last set of brake shoes I purchased ( from Advance Auto Parts ) was around $ 20 .

I very , very rarely have to replace drums or rotors .

Now that they are not popular

it seemed to me the price of shoes is up and the quality is way down.

They are not any worse to replace than disk with ebrake *(rotating piston) and finicky disk brake clips that are not made exactly correctly. Most drums are so old I just net new hardware and adjustor, if the ones are good I just return them. Plus I do not have tools for the disks so have to make extra trips to return tool when finished.

Rod

Here is the rust/salt zone, I have encountered a few rear disc brake jobs that were a pain: lots of rust on the sliding pins, caliper slides. The location seems to pick up a lot of road splash, and the extra parts for the e-brake add to the fun.

Originally Posted by 97prizm
Hi all,

My 05 neon is getting rear shoess replaced at a local place that has done my brakes in the past with hood results. I was quoted $158 but have a $30 off coupon. Does this sound reasonable? Not sure what brake prices are in your area. If it were rear discs i would have replaced the pads myself. I still can't believe a vehicle made in 2005 had drim brakes.

It's basically a cheap car. Drum brakes are just cheaper than disc brakes to manufacture. Remember you still have to account for the parking brake even with rear discs so it's not as simple as you think.

Originally Posted by Chris142
Drum brakes are a pain to replace. Lots of labor vs disc brakes.

Very easy one wheel at a time.

Hmmn, I wonder what is on the '16 Camrys? Haven't needed to do any brake work yet. I'm not even curious enough to look.
grin2.gif

Yeah, the shop has to make some money.
The 2015 Civic LX in my signature has drum brakes. I will install them myself when the time comes. Even if I bought OE shoes and overpaid, I'm probably looking at ~$50. But, I can get some shoes for ~$17.

IDK what I'll use when the time comes, I'm just sayin'!

Last edited:
AndyD, It'd be discs all the way around. Had rotors resurfaced and rear pads replaced on mine for $190ish; had to do the rears because a slide pin stuck from road salt. Fronts are original with 62k on them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Lubener
Originally Posted by Chris142
Drum brakes are a pain to replace. Lots of labor vs disc brakes.

Very easy one wheel at a time.

Still takes a long time. I hate doing them.

Hi all,

What are they doing with the drums? Anything?

If it were rear discs i would have replaced the pads myself.

You have to learn sometime. Why drive a beater if you're not willing to fix it yourself?

Very reasonable price.

I must be odd in actually liking to do them-- there's almost always some adjustment or cleaning that improves pedal feel and e-brake performance.

Once I figured out why the drums on my Cherokee were having problems, I really don't mind them now. It's kind of rewarding to do them!

But the ones on the Neons are particurlarly frustrating. Weird little sheet metal clips hold them in place.

Nothing wrong with drums.
Majority of cars on the road today do not need rear disks nor does it offer any benefit given how they are driven.

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Nothing wrong with drums.
Majority of cars on the road today do not need rear disks nor does it offer any benefit given how they are driven.

My GMC Canyon had them … really strong parking brake with those drums … Great on the boat ramps …

I don't like the labor involved in replacing drum brakes but, I don't mind have them as part of my brake system. They always seem to work just fine, they last a long time and they're cheap to replace.

And, I think I've only replaced 1 drum ever in my life, due to cracking it while trying to remove it. And that was on a '73 Newport. And the only thing that really cracked(off) was a cooling fin. I don't keep the shoes so tight that I can't remove the drums. No need!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back