6.0l Powerstroke- what oil to use

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Will a 15W-40 oil vs a 5W-40, help reduce the amount of fuel in the oil? I assume that most of the fuel entering the oil would be during the start/warm up period. As such, it would appear that a thicker oil would help to reduce blow-by.

Does anyone know for sure?

The anser is NO. Fuel dilution will occur regardless of oil viscosity.

Hammer

Will a 15W-40 oil vs a 5W-40, help reduce the amount of fuel in the oil? I assume that most of the fuel entering the oil would be during the start/warm up period. As such, it would appear that a thicker oil would help to reduce blow-by.

Does anyone know for sure?

Thanks

My girlfriend drives a 2003 Superduty with the 6.0 and when the dealer was changing the oil under the maintenance plan, they used 10W-30 Motorcraft diesel oil. Thats all they recommend for this engine. When I started changing the oil for her, I called up a few other ford dealerships and it was basically a split between them recommending the MC 10W-30 and the MC 15W-40. She decided to just keep using the 10W-30 since it seems to work well and she has not had any problems yet. Her truck has almost 55,000 miles on it and she changes oil every 5,000 miles.

Wayne

quote:

Originally posted by wtd:
My girlfriend drives a 2003 Superduty with the 6.0 and when the dealer was changing the oil under the maintenance plan, they used 10W-30 Motorcraft diesel oil. Thats all they recommend for this engine. When I started changing the oil for her, I called up a few other ford dealerships and it was basically a split between them recommending the MC 10W-30 and the MC 15W-40. She decided to just keep using the 10W-30 since it seems to work well and she has not had any problems yet. Her truck has almost 55,000 miles on it and she changes oil every 5,000 miles.

Wayne

The 6.0 definitely prefers a lighter weight oil versus a heavy one. The HEUI setup pumps the 30W easier than a 40W.

quote:

Originally posted by wtd:

Wayne

I use Amsoil 5w-30 with excellent results. I do have a 7.3 while is not a 6.0 Amsoil is a top notch oil with extendable oil change abilities 25,000 to be exact on a stock engine.

Here is what Amsoil recommends
Engine Oil
Grade 1......CI-4
SAE 15W-40 Synthetic Heavy Duty Diesel and Marine Motor Oil
Synthetic Blend 15W-40 Diesel Oil
Series 3000 Synthetic 5W-30 Heavy Duty Diesel Oil
-23 To 32°F......10W-30[1]
-29 To -1°F......5W-30, 5W-40[2]
-29 To -18°F......0W-30[2]
above -23°F......15W-40[3]
It more than you ask but I hope this helps.
Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back