Anyone here make fried plantains?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking at recipes and methods online. Looks like they just slice ripe plantains (brown, not green) about 3/4 an inch thick and fry them in vegetable oil until good and crispy.

I haven't done much with ripe (sweet) plantains, but we enjoy green plantains occasionally. I peel them, then cut them into one inch long cylinders and deep fry until golden. Then I place them between two heavy paper bags and press down with the palm of my hand, squishing each one individually until flat and 1/4-1/2 inch thick. At this point they are roughly 3 inches in diameter and look like a child's drawing of the sun. Fry them again until all exposed plantain is golden, sprinkler with salt and pepper while still hot and enjoy. They are very similar in taste to a potato. My kids dip them in ketchup.

To make them sweet,do you have to add any sugar while frying them? There's a restaurant we go to regularly and their fried plantains are amazing!! They're crispy on the outside and gooey on the inside and are really sweet.

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
That's the method.
I like the fried sweet plantain recipe as a desert as well.

Do you have that recipe handy?

You add butter and brown sugar. Mix butter and grapeseed oil and heat up. Fry the plantains. Drain the oil if any is left. Add some butter and brown sugar and saute.

Search for Maduro recipes, I'm sure there are tons of them online.

I 've pan fried slices but it never comes out any good. Goya makes a great frozen one so I never DIY anymore.

[Linked Image from goya.com]

I make them all the time. Green or ripe.

You can fry them if green or ripe and back if ripe.

I used to get them at a restaurant in Euless TX called El Paraiso, which was owned by former Major League Baseball player Orlando Merced. This was the first place I had eaten them and the best by far. The rest of the food on the menu there was amazing as well. Unfortunately the place closed several years ago and in now a Fuzzys Taco shop, which is decent food as well.

Well,the fried plantains came out awful! Dry,tough,and zero taste. This made me wonder. Does this restaurant who's fried bananas we so dearly love maybe use the plain yellow common banana? I went online and it looks like fried yellow bananas are very popular.

Anyone here fry the plain yellow bananas with success?

I pan fried them submerged in oil. The recipe called for brown plantains,cut 3/4 an inch thick,tossed in brown sugar,then fried in oil till golden brown.

They were borderline inedible imo. My girlfriend ate them out of niceness not to hurt my feelings I'm sure haha!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back