Stock market!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Mr Nice
As the layoffs increase, no doubt the market will keep getting hit.

I believe this is simply the first wave of the tsunami, the worse is yet to come.

Yes. Unfortunately this is far from over. I'm thinking depression level.

Buy oil stocks. Oil is at it's lows and only has room to go up. It seems dark right now, but we will turn the corner and people will invest again.

So here's my issue.

58, semi retired and wife completely retired. Have lost more than 100K in various investments held within a 457 plan which up until 59.5 is penalized for early withdrawals. Too late to diverse now! Will not die from the loss but none the less we know its gonna take some time when and if things come back! House is paid for, kids are gone and the wife and I went into a contract recently to buy a vacant piece of land in an established wonderful subdivision on which she was to build her perfect dream home. Now with the virus, the market and all the craziness, I am worried that we paid too much for the land, that the existing market of homes will shrink accompanied by reduced prices messing with the sale of our own home. Its hard to take cash out of the bank for the land but it was/is a cash deal. There are no more lots like the one we found which was not listed in the subdivision. So I guess like many, we are questioning our actions at the moment!! We are supposed to close in a few weeks!!!

THIS STINKS, BUT ITS LIFE!

Taking a bath like many investors but riding it down to ?? When will the very last investor conclude the world is coming to an end so we can know the bottom is at hand? One thing for sure, there is going to be one dandy buying frenzy once that occurs. Hope Covid-19 doesn't kill us and we miss the rebound. After watching lifetime investments vaporize in the celestial, we at least need to be around long enough to see the big show. Probably need to put in an additional supply of oxygen for next weeks slide. Lots of Valium too. Good luck everyone.

Down futures down over 900 right now.

Folks the DOW isn't going to make it. Sell while you can.

Jetsfan421,

Oil will keep dropping. Not a good move to buy any oil related stocks.
Don't be tempted by Chevron or Exxon Mobil's crazy dividend yield.

If that's the land she really wanted.... then don't worry about the price you paid.
Yes, the housing bubble will pop just like back in 2009 and a much worse recession is upon us that will force prices down.

Originally Posted by AC1DD

And you are a financial planner? Accredited investor?

Originally Posted by PimTac

And you are a financial planner? Accredited investor?

I don't know why anyone would sell now... It's a little late for that. All we can do now is hope for a turnaround, but unfortunately I think it's going to take a few years.

Exactly.

I decided to buy more than just what my 401k is doing.

And now, I won't even monitor. Retirement is 14+++ years away.

Do you work for CNN or one of those other gloom and doom news channels? Better yet are you the one that bought all the toilet paper at my Walmart!

It is what it is!

Get a grip.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Jetsfan421,

Oil will keep dropping. Not a good move to buy any oil related stocks.
Don't be tempted by Chevron or Exxon Mobil's crazy dividend yield.

If that's the land she really wanted.... then don't worry about the price you paid.
Yes, the housing bubble will pop just like back in 2009 and a much worse recession is upon us that will force prices down.

I guess I could always get out of the deal before closing using the Due Diligence Clause!

Originally Posted by 007

Do you work for CNN or one of those other gloom and doom news channels? Better yet are you the one that bought all the toilet paper at my Walmart!

It is what it is!

Get a grip.

Discussion about the stock market is fine but a few of you need to stop with the "Sky is falling" posts.

Originally Posted by RazorsEdge

Discussion about the stock market is fine but a few of you need to stop with the "Sky is falling" posts.

Get back to me in about three or four months. I don't like that scenario of course.

Its just volatility and i am trading on the swings and making bank. If your long on positions that are down just dont sell them and you dont actually lose anything. As if we wont all get through this and recover.

It is amazing that people are afraid to sell and the market continues to drop. That is the exact reason why panic selling occurs at the tail end of a move. My preference is to manage my hard earned dollars on a risk reward basis. I am in cash, mutual funds and less than .01 in stocks at this point. I will add some money to stocks but only as a short term trade. I am making money on the downtrend.

In 11 years the market returned around 400%+- from 2009 to 2020. To think that these returns will happen the next 10 is wishful thinking. The average return on the market is less than 10% per year. looking at this further if you go back to 2000-2009 the market returned almost negative 30% in that period of time. So you have a negative 30% return in 9 years in the 2000's to a whopping 400% return in 11 years to January 2020.

There is a reason a avalanche setup is in the dow. People are preserving gains. If you told someone I could return 40 years of gains in 10 most would take the profit.

Futures are up on fed announcement. Hopefully we get some type of a short term slowing of the selling and develop a little rally.

If you haven't sold out before the crash, hang in there and ride it out. Think long term investing. If you needed the money in less than ten years, you shouldn't have been in the stock market in the first place. I have been through dumps of 1987, 2001 and 2008-09. Each time lost more than half of everything. I stayed put and the returns when the market turned around, far surpassed my previous peaks. I am planning on putting more $$ into the market soon when I think it has tanked.

Anyone that invests needs to determine their own asset allocation model depending on their age and risk tolerance. You won't find that in a magazine or a discussion forum.

At some point, people will have to be allowed to go back to work. Yes, this virus is bad, but there will be MANY more deaths and MUCH more carnage if our economy (and in turn, the world economy) is allowed to collapse. Question is, what is the tipping point?

Originally Posted by grampi
At some point, people will have to be allowed to go back to work. Yes, this virus is bad, but there will be MANY more deaths and MUCH more carnage if our economy (and in turn, the world economy) is allowed to collapse. Question is, what is the tipping point?

I'm hoping after another month or two of this people will get tired about hearing about this and just go back to work. Not many people can go more than one or two checks without falling behind on bills.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back