P0141 - GM O2 Sensor Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dealing with a confirmed (MIL requested) P0141 and intermittent (non-MIL) P0161 on the good ole 290K mile 2001 Chevy Suburban 5.3.

I have had trouble with Bosch O2s in the past and so I prefer to stick to ACDelco or Denso sensors when it comes to GM trucks. For this application the ACDelco AFS106 was cheap and available so I went that route. Changed my bank1sensor2 in all of five minutes - great design and easy to get to. I cleared the codes and drove it a bit... no codes came back yet.

What I do find interesting is that in the diagnostic information it shows two types of O2 sensors. "Delphi" type sensors and "Denso" type sensors. The ACDelco sensor I installed looked like a Denso type sensor and the one that came out, as well as the Bosch part number that interchanges to AFS106, look like Delphi type sensors.

Are they interchangable? I would assume they are since the truck runs with no codes yet but I'm just confirming that. I've attached a pic of the old sensor next to the new box and the diagram showing the two different types of sensors.

My other question is could an exhaust leak where the EGR tube meets the exhaust manifold cause a P0161? That's on the bank2 side of the engine.

Thanks...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited:
You will find even OE replacement parts fit several different applications. IIRC....The Denso vs Delphi sensor 2's were simply keyed differently. Easily remedied with a universal keyed connectors, They both function the same.

That is most certainly a Delco/Delphi sensor in the pic

I had an O2 sensor fail/set code on my 2002 GMC Safari van. Replaced with Bosch - did not work correctly, Denso did. Been awhile, something to do with the switching rate if I remember correctly.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
You will find even OE replacement parts fit several different applications. IIRC....The Denso vs Delphi sensor 2's were simply keyed differently. Easily remedied with a universal keyed connectors, They both function the same.

That is most certainly a Delco/Delphi sensor in the pic

Ok, cool, thanks, now do you think that an exhaust leak could cause a p0161?

No, Exhaust leaks drive the O2 voltage low which would give a false Lean reading.

P0161 is a O2 Heater malfunction code, The voltage is staying within 75mV of the Bias Voltage for too long. The Bias Voltage is right around 450mV & the O2 sensor produces it's own voltage that rides on top of the bias driving it high & low.

Cold O2's don't produce any voltage, That's why they are heated, Start by checking for Power & Ground at the O2 sensor. Pink wire = 12VDC, Black wire = Ground.

I recently replaced the O2 sensor on my 92 Cavalier with an AC-Delco one and it looked identical to the Bosch one that I pulled out. Even the numbers on it were the same.

Years ago when I replaced the O2 sensor for the first time on a 1993 S-10 that I had bought new, the original one that I took out said Bosch on it so apparently Bosch has been used as an OEM part in some cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back