Auto Insurance On/Off Cancelation

Hello Oil Connoisseurs,

I brought my Mustang from comprehensive only back onto full coverage a bit early as I had the itch and we had a patch of 60F+ days in early March. Generally I will drive it if there's no precip and the temp is above 40F.

Now with many states enacting a 'shelter in-place', my state included, I am once again considering moving the Mustang to comprehensive only coverage. With the uncertainty regarding the spread of this virus, who knows how long I'll keep it off the road. Illinois is under shelter in-place until April 7th, and I fully predict that date will be extended. Perhaps I'll get the itch to drive it 1mi to the grocery store...

My question is more from a monetary perspective -- is there a certain etiquette to continuously moving a vehicle on and off coverage? I wonder if there are any premium repercussions. Do any other members try to save some coin if they know they aren't going to drive a particular vehicle for a week plus, or does everyone just let it ride?

Originally Posted by Maddog1337
Hello Oil Connoisseurs,

I brought my Mustang from comprehensive only back onto full coverage a bit early as I had the itch and we had a patch of 60F+ days in early March. Generally I will drive it if there's no precip and the temp is above 40F.

Now with many states enacting a 'shelter in-place', my state included, I am once again considering moving the Mustang to comprehensive only coverage. With the uncertainty regarding the spread of this virus, who knows how long I'll keep it off the road. Illinois is under shelter in-place until April 7th, and I fully predict that date will be extended. Perhaps I'll get the itch to drive it 1mi to the grocery store...

My question is more from a monetary perspective -- is there a certain etiquette to continuously moving a vehicle on and off coverage? I wonder if there are any premium repercussions. Do any other members try to save some coin if they know they aren't going to drive a particular vehicle for a week plus, or does everyone just let it ride?

How much money are we talking-for let's say a THREE MONTH QUARANTINE? Inquiring minds want to know. I'm guessing it's not much..................

You want to keep comprehensive intact in all cases. You will be saving possibly on collision only. Run the numbers and see. You ask a pointless question without any information or data.

I think I annoyed Progressive (online) by changing my policy too many times.

They went from "full auto" to "we'll review your change and get you your cards tomorrow."

Originally Posted by JustinH
Is dropping insurance for a month worth your time?

It takes about 30 seconds online. And for my age, and a Mustang, albeit a 6 cyl, insurance is considerable - why throw money away if you're not driving? I know many of the demographic on this site are used to having a dedicated insurance agent, but again nowadays the action can be completed via the selection of a radio button online within seconds.

Last edited:
They'll think you are a carpetbagger and will be hoping you'll move on.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
They'll think you are a carpetbagger and will be hoping you'll move on.
smile.gif

There's something to this, if you "annoy" them they'll slowly creep your rates upwards, or slow down their decline if you're otherwise "getting better".

Their actuaries get "spooked" by the oddest stuff.

I could see them requiring you to pay for a complete inspection of the vehicle to make sure it was not damaged while off the policy when you want to bring it on the policy. I would do that if I owned an insurance company if you did it more than seasonally.

My Mustang is a three season car. My carrier offers a policy designed for this purpose with a discount for keeping the car out of commission for a minimum 90 days/yr.
Don't have to dealing with calling and all of the associated gyrations.

I'd just leave it covered. These days you never know what tomorrow is going to bring. You are merely discouraged from the roads right now. There's people out.

Illinois requires you to reinstate the insurance within seven days of activity. I think you can't just switch it back to "withdraw from use" for 30 days.

If the weather breaks I will bring mine out for it's spring maintenance and awakening. Maybe I'll just take it around the block instead of around town.

Bad idea..

Many people are going to change it due to different reasons (hardship, not driving, etc). Good chance they could screw it up for you.....

You're basically confined when inside your car alone ... go for some drives and enjoy the open roads. Doubt if cops are going to pull people over who are just driving down the road - they don't know what you're doing or where you're going. We aren't into Omega Man territory.

If you only have two vehicles on policy you lose your likely 25% discount across policy for multi car when paused or cancelled.

I have known (shady) single car owners who buy titles to junkyard vehicles to barely insure them and get the discount. Eg pay $100 to get a 25% discount on a $2200 policy.

I have my garage queen's liability and collision coverage suspended and activated many times throughout the year as I need. My agent never had a problem with it. I never lost my multi car discount either as long as you just "suspend" certain coverages like liability and collision and not cancel. I keep comprehensive coverage full time.

Last edited:
With a proven insurance company, you can also get many specialized options and insurance programs to customize your auto insurance policy to fit your budget, whether you're known or not. I recently came across an exciting platform: https://joywallet.com/review-of-liberty-mutual/, where Nationwide has unique options such as gap coverage, roadside assistance, and deductible waiver total loss, and accident forgiveness. These are essential options worth listing because they aren't always available at other giant insurance companies. Nationwide is available in almost every state and offers 12 discounts to lower your insurance premiums. We also like the fact that.

Back