Yes Magnatec IS quieter...again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't get worked up on polyol ester (POE) in base oil. Few oils use ester in their base oil, and if they do, it's only about 5 - 7%. M1 FS and M1 ESP are some examples that do, around 5 - 7%. Red Line High-Performance has the highest ester content of all oils, which is around 13 - 18%. Of course, Valvoline Premium Blue restore has 62.5% POE in its base oil, but it's meant for dissolving carbon.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...70993/re-redline-goes-api-sn#Post5070993

Castrol Magnatec 5w-40 A3/B4 has no ester at all -- FTIR oxidation number is only 10%, which points to no ester. They don't have FTIR on Magnatec 5W-40 C3.

https://www.oil-club.ru/forum/topic/6534-castrol-magnatec-5w-40-a3b4-svezhee/

There is proof out there that Casstrol uses ester in some of its oils. The SDS will show the range by percentage varying from .0000000000000000001%-60% using a proprietary osmosis process. I'm guessing the bottles and barrels of Casstrol pass near a strategically placed bottle of Red Line during their packaging journey. This bottle of Red Line imbues the Casstrol with ester via a form of science that utilizes a witch doctor, chicken bones and chants. The slowest and easiest chants are for AN, the loud aggressive chants are for polyols. There is also proof that it quiets the screams of consumers when used as a lube to soothe the pain of being cheated out of real, measurable quantities of PAO/POE which they think they paid for.

Sometimes it's really difficult to tell if someone really is as crazy as it appears, or they are just doing it to get attention.

Very difficult.

Originally Posted by racin4ds
I consider myself to have exceptional hearing, always have. I can always "hear" my engines when they make a different or out of normal noise, especially if I've had the vehicle awhile, I get really "in tune" with it. I most certainly can hear the difference between a loud oil and a quiet oil. This is what made my stop using M1 oils years ago. Every vehicle I put M1 in got considerably louder right away. I don't care if it is anecdotal, loudness related to oil type used is definitely a thing.

Exactly which oils are quieter than M1?

And which M1 do you reference?

Bonus points: Rate them by quietness in order.

Remember, you have exceptional hearing.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
By looking your old sheet with BO IV is 86 of Mobil 1 HM 5w30 I heard or read here had Lower Bo IV have a ester base oil but I do not have articles or references to back this claim. Did saying Lower BO IV means oil can have ester ?

Originally Posted by racin4ds
I consider myself to have exceptional hearing, always have. I can always "hear" my engines when they make a different or out of normal noise, especially if I've had the vehicle awhile, I get really "in tune" with it. I most certainly can hear the difference between a loud oil and a quiet oil. This is what made my stop using M1 oils years ago. Every vehicle I put M1 in got considerably louder right away. I don't care if it is anecdotal, loudness related to oil type used is definitely a thing.

I wish I could put this in my signature

Originally Posted by Toh1
By looking your old sheet with BO IV is 86 of Mobil 1 HM 5w30 I heard or read here had Lower Bo IV have a ester base oil but I do not have articles or references to back this claim. Did saying Lower BO IV means oil can have ester ?

Polyol ester (POE) has high viscosity index (VI), around 130 - 136. Group V alkylated naphthalene (AN) has low VI, around 74 - 105.

None of the American Mobil 1 oils, including the Mobil 1 High-Mileage, have ester. They have AN instead. The only ester-containing Mobil 1 oils are the European Mobil 1 oils, which are the FS and ESP varieties (such as the M1 FS 0W-40 and M1 ESP 5W-30). However, they don't have AN.

M1 HM possibly has more AN than the vanilla M1. Base-oil viscosity index calculations (BO VI) in my spreadsheet are not reliable because I don't know the exact nature of the viscosity-index improver (VII). That part of the calculation is only to give you a rough idea. However, if the VII type in the M1 HM is the same as in the vanilla M1, it's more than likely that the M1 HM has more AN than the vanilla M1. AN is known for its cleaning and seal swelling ability, which the high-mileage oils need. M1 HM claims both sludge removal and seal swelling.

Originally Posted by 4WD

Shannow, what's the part about passenger seat ?

10L drum of oil in it...provide my own oil evern for dealer services.

The very first time I used Pennzoil Platinum in my wife's car, she said the car sounds quiet.

I've read that moly and/or ester can also help in the "noise" department .

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
Was the Db meter test done using new same grade oils in all tests, or used oil, then new? New is quieter as my brain memory banks bring those old oil sounds up. Then the brain compares the new live sound vibrations to the memorized ones, and the new oil always sounds better, or "quieter." According to the brain, which is truly an amazing thing. We can close our eyes and hear sounds from year ago, where they are in the brain I don't think anyone yet knows?
I can remember the inside of parents house from 50 years ago, see it plain as day, except where is this image coming from, anyway?

You would have to take measurement all over the place in multiple locations.

WHo care , just run what you perceive you like =- then factor in power and fuel mileage to be a bit more objective.

That's what I do. If you hit all three you are doing good

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
Kind of old but interesting. Thanks for the link!

It dispells the "no it can't change the noise" myth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back