Why does no one rebuild Subaru CVT trans?

Status
Not open for further replies.
before i bought my honda i was looking at a lot of Subaru outbacks with the CVT trans. What kept me from buying one was the CVT trans and the need to take it to the dealer to have it replaced at the tune of $8K .

i called a few trans shop in the area and asked them if they rebuilt them. No was the answer i got to every one. Anyone know why most trans shops don't rebuild them. i would think its would be a pretty lucrative job seeing how much the dealer charges .

this is one of the few i have found that rebuilds them. they don't seem complicated inside

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LnPnyOfAg8&t=323s

If there is no network of replacement parts available from either OEM or aftermarket, then nobody is going down that road alone. You are correct that the non-dealer service network for CVT is ready for development. If you build it, will they come?

For shops that don't, I'm guessing "Come backs", ignorance, unwillingness to train, busy enough with other transmissions where they can refuse the technology foreign to them and work on what they are comfortable with, obtaining parts and lastly the cost to rebuild it vs what the vehicle is worth sends most out of warranty Subarus with a CVT failure to a junkyard unless a good used transmission is installed instead.

I'm a semi mechanic and dislike working with other mechanics that cry about anything complicated and wish they were working on a B model Cat.

Probably more of a headache than its worth for most of them. I know of three people I'd trust rebuilding an automatic transmission, two of them are members here. IMO the odds of getting a good rebuilt CVT transmission is slim.

Another reason is that Subaru builds its own transmissions, they are not outsourced, so all the specs may not be available to rebuilders.

From what I hear, CVT transmission are made to throw away after they break. IDK? I think KGMtech is on the right path.

Originally Posted by KGMtech
If there is no network of replacement parts available from either OEM or aftermarket, then nobody is going down that road alone. You are correct that the non-dealer service network for CVT is ready for development. If you build it, will they come?

parts seem to be available aftermarket

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yR2Y9gS_3xM

Subaru gave me (wife, actually) a good will extended warranty also.

There used to be a MOVERAS trans rebuilding factory across from where my Contractor job was.

I tried to get a job there as a LEAN Process Engineer, but no go. I'm Too Old
smile.gif

Here a big Job moved off the back shop bench into ISO 9001-2000 industry

Check this viddy of the factory.Seems like they reuse too many "used" wear parts.

https://moveras.com/Videos/tabid/205/Default.aspx

As I mentioned in the "other" thread, the CVT in my FXT was repaired, not replaced, at a Subaru dealer after throwing codes and acting funny in reverse.
This was done under warranty at 80kmiles, so glad that Subaru extended it from 60k to 100k. You can read my soap opera about Subaru's CVT fluids in the other thread if you are looking for a soporific. Car is at 115kmiles now and things seem to be holding together. Subaru modified the high torque CVT used in the FXT, WRX, and (I think) V6 Legacy/Outback during the 2015 model year to add a filter that cannot be retrofitted to older cars. Believe the CVT in my wife's Legacy XT is yet another design now.
I think the paperwork should be in a bag in the car, I will look for it next time I am in there...but, I have not been driving much lately for some reason.

I could definitely see where indy tranny shops might not want to mess with the Subaru CVTs, but my vehicle is proof positive that a Subaru CVT can be repaired.

My daughters Nissan Rogue with a little over 100,000 miles CVT went up a few weeks ago. My mechanic said it was an internal selenoid. He replaced the selenoid and it is as good as new. Cost was $1825.00 I know it is not a Subie but at least this one could be fixed without the stealership workover.

I think that the idea that Subaru CVT cannot be repaired stems from the fact that whenever a tranny failed Subaru told the dealers to replace the whole unit and send the failed unit back to them untouched. There they too it apart to find out what failed and why so that they can make the necessary improvements.

Last edited:
I'm a lucky man! Just about 75k on my 17 3.6 OB CVT. I'm looking at a dealer service for the CVT fluid withing the next few weeks. $275 is the cost and if done correctly I'm fine with the price. I'll do it again at 140k. At 200k will be a decision based on the rest of the vehicle....do it one final time or let it ride. barring an accident this Sub will be in the family til it's dead.

Originally Posted by walterjay
My daughters Nissan Rogue with a little over 100,000 miles CVT went up a few weeks ago. My mechanic said it was an internal selenoid. He replaced the selenoid and it is as good as new. Cost was $1825.00 I know it is not a Subie but at least this one could be fixed without the stealership workover.

One solenoid and it was $1,825? Ouch.

Originally Posted by Pelican
I think that the idea that Subaru CVT cannot be repaired stems from the fact that whenever a tranny failed Subaru told the dealers to replace the whole unit and send the failed unit back to them untouched. There they too it apart to find out what failed and why so that they can make the necessary improvements.

This would be a very smart idea/practice on their part.

Maybe Subaru is still proactive in doing forensics on their returns. Can any Subaru techs confirm this?

Regardless, I know we've chatted this one up in other threads, but what ATs these days aside from maybe light truck based units are actually being rebuilt as opposed to just replaced? I'm talking newer 6, 7+ speed units. I'm thinking few to none of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back