Visitors to your home ; present or past

Status
Not open for further replies.
Past

DSCF5891.JPG

DSCF5014.JPG

DSCF5016.JPG

We see the occasional family of foxes and I've seen a turtle now and then.
I can recall a mama skunk crossing the backyard followed by her little ones and I had to discourage the dog from going out to say hi.
We have the usual population of tree rats (squirrels) as well as plenty of birds, with a hummingbird dropping by now and then.
You can observe bats at night and there are of course snakes.
We do get a deer in the backyard once in a while as well as raccoons and opossums.
Fun to see all sorts of wildlife around home.

Originally Posted by blufeb95
About 3 years ago I had these frogs that liked to hang out on the side of my garage

My place was invaded by these same tree frogs, two summers back. Twenty years of living here, nothing. Then they were everywhere... along with an infestation of mosquitoes. Started looking around, and noticed that the neighbor behind me had an in-ground swimming pool that he'd let turn into a nature preserve. The ducks that came in and landed on it one evening, was a complete giveaway.

Called the local health department and complained about the nature preserve, and the infestation of mosquitoes They obtained a search warrant, condemned it, and ordered it removed as a health hazard. Couple weeks later, the pool was removed and the tree frogs eventually vanished.

We used to have a snapper that laid her eggs somewhere in our yard every year...didn't see any for a while, but last summer we saw a nest up by the street. Either the little guys had hatched and got out of there or an animal had dug up the eggs and left a mess.
We used to have fishers until an idiot neighbor started having them trapped because they were eating his cats...hello, the fishers belong out there and your cats DON'T, moron. Hearing a fisher scream in the middle of the night without knowing what it is is an exercise in pure terror...sounds like a small child in extraordinary pain.
We caught a momma bear and cubs attacking our bird feeder about 2am a few springs ago...there was one harassing the feeders all winter this year, never saw it but heard it from inside the house. I am also pretty sure I heard it snuffling in the woods while I was trying to scrape ice off my driveway one night, I just went about my business as I thought it might chase me if I ran.
A small hawk killed a dove as we watched it feed in our yard about 10 years ago...had no idea why the bird exploded at first, then we saw it being eaten.
My wife saw a mink for the first time in several years about a month ago! We were both thrilled...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

PS the date on the camera is about 6month off.
Deer photo is late oct/early nov
Bobcat is april-ish.

Saw this guy in front of the House one day.
[Linked Image]

And two Weeks later.
He just watched me as I did my yardwork.
[Linked Image]

Photo above of a Bobcat.
That would be a good name for a family's pet cat.
Bob the cat.
"I have a Bob Cat living in the house".... Do you really ?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MasterSolenoid
Saw this guy in front of the House one day.
[Linked Image]

I wonder where the mommy is? Did he come up to you?

Lots of great pics above. Haven't had anything too exotic in the past couple of years. Before that we had an owl and hawk on our fireplace chimney. They'd sit up there and hunt our backyard and bring stuff up there to eat. Don't need bones up on my chimney cap. We have lots of deer, some foxes. Once a giant toad in my driveway. Once a heron in the backyard. Must have been lost. About a thousand or million peepers in the woods. Never saw one. Just hear them at night.

Moved a robin's nest that I thought was abandoned. It wasn't abandoned and the robin was made at me for 4 years. She'd attack and peck and fly into my windows day after day. She'd fly south for the winter and then fly back and resume her assault. She finally started looking grey and old one summer and she didn't make it back the next spring. Talk about holding a grudge. I've talked to others and some tell me similar stories about robins.

once... 20 some years ago, when we had the whole family over ( cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents, etc) either a thanksgiving or easter.... someone looked out in the back yard, and there's a pheasant just walking through...
haven't seen one in the years since...

when my brother lived near Ft. Worth, there were always little geckos on the walls after dark.

Originally Posted by Donald
We have had a bear up on our deck twice in the past several years destroying our bird feeder. But never got a photo.

Here is what I think the bear that comes up on my deck looks like.

smokey.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back