Battery operated lawn mower any good ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My neighbor has Ryobi lawnmower and blower and trimmer, and they work good but they're constantly stopping partway through the small lawn to recharge the battery and they said they've had to get warranty battery replacement several times the past few years. I'm not sure how good they are at keeping the batteries tended.

The local mom-and-pop hardware store sells "Ego" lawn care products and the customers have been happy so far.

Originally Posted by Kruse
The local mom-and-pop hardware store sells "Ego" lawn care products and the customers have been happy so far.

I was looking at these.

I think my neighbor has an ego brand electric push mower. I used it once a couple of summers back. It cut ok but had no weight behind it, it felt like a cheap toy. It cut his yard and my front yard with plenty of battery life left.

I researched them when my younger sister moved into my old house last year.
Decided against one because the mowing time for my old house is 50 minutes and the battery on the Ego is rated for 45 minute run times.

Plus I'm guessing after a few discharge and recharge cycles, 45 minutes becomes 42 minutes, 42 minutes becomes 40 minutes... Just like your cellphone battery.

And a new or spare battery cost over $200, which will buy plenty of gas, oil, spark plugs and air filters.

But they are ideal for some people.
I got her this and like that it has a fuel shut off to run the carb dry so you wont gum it up. https://www.cubcadet.com/en_US/push-mowers/sc-100-h/11A-A2AQ710.html

Originally Posted by skyactiv
I researched them when my younger sister moved into my old house last year.
Decided against one because the mowing time for my old house is 50 minutes and the battery on the Ego is rated for 45 minute run times.

Plus I'm guessing after a few discharge and recharge cycles, 45 minutes becomes 42 minutes, 42 minutes becomes 40 minutes... Just like your cellphone battery.

And a new or spare battery cost over $200, which will buy plenty of gas, oil, spark plugs and air filters.

^^This. If lithium batteries lasted 5 plus years then I'd say go for it but they simply don't. My lawnmower needs $1 worth of an oil change every spring and a $2 filter.

I bought a Toro e-Cycler about 10 years ago - it's been good.

https://www.toro.com/en/homeowner/walk-behind-mowers/e-cycler-cordless-20360

My lot is small though - 50' x 110', with much of that taken up by house, garage, and driveway. I don't need to stop to recharge between boulevard, front yard, and back yard. When the time comes, I don't imagine that the three 12 V batteries will be costly to replace.

I liked the steel body of the Toro, vs. the plastic body the competitors were offering at the time.

My old gasser had gotten very finicky, and Home Depot had a "push, pull, drag, or tow" your old gas mower in for $100 credit toward a new electric. It's often difficult to find a spring or summer day here when the grass is as dry as I'd like. When the grass is a bit wet, it clumps up underneath the chassis, above the blade. So, I want to tip the mower over and clean out the wet grass. But, with the gas mower, this meant spilling gas and oil, and usually a flooded carb. I considered building some sort of ramp thing I could push the mower up on, and then clean the grass from underneath. If you leave the wet grass in place, it starts to rot pretty quickly, and stink up the garage. In contrast, cleaning out the electric mower is really easy, and yes, I always remove the interlock key before turning the mower on its side to clean it out.

No more stale gas or stabilizer to worry about either.

Ultimately I think it comes down to your lot size and tolerance for having to recharge partway through.

My daughter is a green thumb and likes maintaining her yard and garden without the hassles of refilling gas can.

Her yard is a quarter acre in size.

When I lived in Lemont IL my neighbor had a ryobi 40v electric mower. She loved that thing and it cleaned her 1/4 acre lot up real nice. I liked it because it was very quiet

I have a B&D electric weedwacker. Works great for light duty use... quiet, simple, light. But if you have a lot of wacking to do its NOT going to cut it.

Depends on what you want to spend. They have three main lines of electric ope. The professional stuff is awesome but your gonna pay for it. The entry level is ok for a townhouse and mid line would be ok on a small suburban lot. I love Stihl gas ope but I dont think their electric ope is nearly as good as ego. Its the batteries across all makes that is the deciding factor.

Bought a Redback last year clearance off eBay, $230, 120v and self propelled, worked great, used it about 8 times, though I do have to recharge for the last part, about 10 minutes of 50. I didn't opt for a spare battery because cost is half the amount of the whole set-up and the battery limits means I would have 2 batteries that wear out about the same time.

There are some good electric mowers out there, and I don't think I'll ever go back to gas on a push mower, but I don't like to say never. I mow roughly 5 acres a week, with quite a bit of trimming and banks that are push mowed. When my gasser got to hard to manage on banks, I went shopping for a cordless mower, with all intentions of buying an EGO. Well, they had a Ryobi on clearance, so I bought it and couldn't be happier. It will cut grass shin high with not much problem, and it goes around 45-60 on a 4ah battery. I've used it now for two years going into the third and no plans to replace it yet, so it's a good buy. It is the 20" self propelled model.
Now, let me say this, if I mowed a lot of ground with a push mower, I mean flat open spaces or this was my only mower, then it would DEFINITELY be an EGO. I've used a couple and they are killer mowers that are far stronger than gas mowers. They are also built like a tank, there just isn't anything to compare to them. The Ryobi is a good mower but no where near the build quality of an EGO. Thats not to say the Ryobi won't last, as it is obviously doing fine, but an EGO is a very long term investment.

depends how much yard you got to mow, trim and clean-up. also consider if you have thick grass. my neighbor goes out every 2 days to keep his grass short less to cut easier on the mower longer battery life. i am just not ready myself to go battery powered on the outdoor power equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back