Disc brake tools

Status
Not open for further replies.
On many vehicles that have the parking brake controlled through the caliper, it is required to thread the piston back into the caliper to reset it. If you try to just force it back in with a c-clamp you will destroy the caliper.

A c-clamp works fine on the front calipers but may not work on the rear.

depends if you're working on the front or the back axle

front brakes will push straight back with c-clamp or vice or whatever
rear brakes need to rotate as the piston goes into the caliper, so you need the tool in the link to turn the piston without marking it.

Originally Posted by FowVay
On many vehicles that have the parking brake controlled through the caliper, it is required to thread the piston back into the caliper to reset it. If you try to just force it back in with a c-clamp you will destroy the caliper.

+1. Some people use needle nose pliers to retract the piston.

I have a couple of these and a couple of c-clamps..havent been stumped yet

[Linked Image from cdn.1aauto.com]

Originally Posted by FowVay

But if my parking brake is shoes then caliper piston does not screw in and C-clamp is enough? Correct?

Many rear calipers are screw in and have indents in the piston. You find the face of the cube that matches the piston and use an extension and ratchet to wind the piston back into the caliper.

Originally Posted by Donald
Originally Posted by krismoriah72
I have a couple of these and a couple of c-clamps..havent been stumped yet

[Linked Image from cdn.1aauto.com]

How is this used?

This was too small for when I did my friend's 2011 VW Jetta. Was able to use a c-clamp, as the 'head' rotated and along with the pressure of the clamp I was able to twist the piston in. Got lucky with that. Wasn't having any success with needle nose pliers, either.

I started to say it's not needed, since a c-clamp and one of those square turning tools work fine, and is what I use. BUT, heck for $23 that would be so much more convienient, and well worth the money. I'm even thinking of getting one for the next job I do.

Originally Posted by wayne50
A really big bladed screwdriver works well.

Ha ha, Right!

most shade trees dont know enough to compress the puck BEFORE they take off the caliper on one- sided- floaters. Which encompasess most passenger cars.

NO Clamp required

: )
smile.gif
smile.gif

Last edited:
I've had some applications where the cube doesn't grip and slips or the force required is too hard and a separate kit such as the Amazon Orion or Harbor Freight works.

That kit is for rear calipers with integral ebrakes.

For the fronts I don't even bother using a c-clamp...I just wedge a flat screw driver between the pad and rotor, and pry. The piston can easily and quickly be pushed back in. Then (if needed), once the caliper is off, give it a quick squeeze with a set of water pump pliers. Done.

Last edited:
Needed those (supposedly) for calipers that the caliper piston has to rotate to compress. I haven't owned a VW in a while but I distinctly remember renting those for the rear calipers ONCE. Didn't work worth a [censored] and after spending way too much time I managed to spin the caliper pistons with pliers or something alternating between turning and compressing with traditional brake caliper tool and doing it in like a minute after spending 30 minutes with the tool barely budging the pistons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back