Historical Gasoline Prices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the average gasoline price in the USA courtesy of Gas Buddy. It only goes back 10 years. What's missing is the large gas price increase in 2005 when oil first hit $50/bbl. Enjoy.

Gasoline Prices.PNG

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Here is the average gasoline price in the USA courtesy of Gas Buddy. It only goes back 10 years. What's missing is the large gas price increase in 2005 when oil first hit $50/bbl. Enjoy.

There was a LONG time up until 2005 that anything above $1 and some change was considered highway robbery. (Including diesel)

Had people already in 2009 who couldn't remember a time when gas was a buck.

Here is a chart that goes back to 1990. It was 2002 when gasoline started ramping. Enjoy.

I wasn't paying over a $1.50 until 2005,

I remember it because that is when I started mixing $0.85 e85 with rug because I had never seen gas that expensive before.

I ran a lot of e50 for a long time because it used to be nearly half the price.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Hopefully it goes to $1 a gallon.

don't think that will happen in Pennsylvania , our tax on gas is about a dollar a gallon

Spot futures prices are about .75/gallon. Add state and fed tax and any profit margin and you should be well below $1.50 in most states, so we are still getting gouged.

probably will never see that low prices again in the state of WA. every time it goes down the gov uses the excuse that they need more gas tax money and since gas is cheap we won't feel it if they raise it. Wa gov is crooked as it gets

Originally Posted by sloinker
Spot futures prices are about .75/gallon. Add state and fed tax and any profit margin and you should be well below $1.50 in most states, so we are still getting gouged.

People who have no idea what they are talking about should refrain from posting as though they do.

The price peak of oil was actually $149/bbl back in July 2008. That's back when bankers and hedge funds were buying oil tankers full of oil and parking them on speculation. The banking crisis in Aug-Oct 2008 brought that to an end fast as oil plummeted

Oil and commodities in general last peaked back in 2006-2008. It appears at this point commodities in general are heading towards 15-20 yr lows. Oil recently dropping from $76 to $21 just joined in. We're probably going to be having cheap oil and gas prices for at least 1-2 yrs. WTIC oil prices are now back to late 2001 prices.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Rmay635703

There was a LONG time up until 2005 that anything above $1 and some change was considered highway robbery. (Including diesel)

Had people already in 2009 who couldn't remember a time when gas was a buck.

First fill-up of my first vehicle in fall of 1957 was $0.31 gallon.

I started buying gas in 1974, and it was steady around C$0.55/Imperial gallon (about C$0.121/litre). Saw it posted at C$0.739/litre yesterday, so about 6x the 1974 price.

Per the Bank of Canada's inflation calculator, if gasoline had tracked inflation exactly it would now cost about C$0.667/litre. So, in real $ over the time I've been buying gas, it's not much more expensive than it was then. And of course my wage went up a lot over those years, and my present car gets much better mileage than my car of those days. So, bottom line, on average here we're paying way less for gas as a % of our income than we did back then. YMMV!

Bank of Canada Inflation Calculator

Number_35 said:
I started buying gas in 1974, and it was steady around C$0.55/Imperial gallon (about C$0.121/litre). Saw it posted at C$0.739/litre yesterday, so about 6x the 1974 price.

Per the Bank of Canada's inflation calculator, if gasoline had tracked inflation exactly it would now cost about C$0.667/litre. So, in real $ over the time I've been buying gas, it's not much more expensive than it was then. And of course my wage went up a lot over those years, and my present car gets much better mileage than my car of those days. So, bottom line, on average here we're paying way less for gas as a % of our income than we did back then]/quote]

Cool. I tried it out on the $0.17 per liter I saw in 1980 which for some reason is etched on my memory from a wild and crazy ski trip to Banff. It would be $0.55 now, not too far from the $0.80 it's at this morning.
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Many stations are at $0.699 in Calgary yesterday. Lowest I can remember in the last 20 years.

C$0.80/l in BC is awesome! We saw C$1.499/l (that is, a buck and a half) in both Golden and Revelstoke in August 2018, and I heard that Vancouver's even worse.

Another memory from about that era of bygone gas prices ... in 1976 I was working part-time while going to college in Kamloops. Canada was just starting to transition to SI (metric) - highway distance signs and speed limits were just going over, but gasoline was still sold in Imperial gallons. (Switched January 1, 1979 if I recall correctly.) It was around 75 to 80 cents a gallon at that time, but one of the full-time fellows had traveled north, I think to Williams Lake or Quesnel, and had come back saying that they were selling gas by the half gallon. The pumps had a mechanical display that only went up to 99.9 cents, but the price had broken a buck, so the pumps were set to something like "53.9/half gallon". We thought it was the beginning of the end!

As stated above, tax rates are a lot higher than the old days-but we have isolated pockets of sub-$1.50 here, and $1-1.20 wouldn't surprise me, there's a couple of stations in the Cleveland area that are $1.199. Factor in inflation, and it will be close to the cheapest price ever.

Originally Posted by sloinker

Wellllllll.......................One gas station in Oklahoma city is at .99 cents a gallon
thumbsup2.gif

Dave

... According to this, It was actually 2002 when gasoline started ramping. .
Starting more like 1975, or 1980. Up until about '73, it had barely increased since the 1950s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back