Aftermarket Speakers with Stock Head Unit/Radio - Surprisingly Good

Status
Not open for further replies.

gathermewool

Site Donor 2023
I continued down my list of projects and maintenance items that I've been putting off. Last night I installed Audio Ordnance two-way 6X9" in the front and 6.5" in the rear of our 15 Legacy Premium.

They were cheap speakers @ ~$115 for all four speakers from Crutchfield, including install kit.

Stock HU, no amp. Sound is much better, even though it's got the same input. I've always believed that one needed at least an upgraded HU to make a speaker upgrade worthwhile, but I just proved myself wrong.

The reason I always thought aftermarket speakers would suck with the stock radio, is because they would be so under-powered that they'd distort easily. So, I chose these relatively low-power aftermarket with pretty good sensitivity to try (90/88 dB front/rear).

I was also surprised that Subaru stuffs a 5" front speaker into a giant plastic 6X9" adapter! Way to cheap out!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I also judiciously added half of a two-door Dynamat sound deadener kit to ALL FOUR DOORS. I tried to get as much as I could in the center of the door panel to maximize deadening. I'll probably use the rest on the Forester when I get the chance and if I notice an improvement on the road with the Legacy.
[Linked Image]

Looks like a job well done.

I have been considering replacing speakers on my Escape as the OEM speakers are terrible, and I feel that one sounds blown.

Crutchfield may cost more, but they include all the speaker trim adapters, and the factory wiring adapters, so nothing needs to be cut.

I think I am going to go with them also.

Was the directions they included useful?

It seems like they test each speaker they sell and are aware of depth fitment issues as well.

Originally Posted by GON
Good read, thanks for taking the time to post!

Thanks, bud!

Originally Posted by JustinH
Looks like a job well done.

I have been considering replacing speakers on my Escape as the OEM speakers are terrible, and I feel that one sounds blown.

Crutchfield may cost more, but they include all the speaker trim adapters, and the factory wiring adapters, so nothing needs to be cut.

I think I am going to go with them also.

Was the directions they included useful?

It seems like they test each speaker they sell and are aware of depth fitment issues as well.

I should have installed new speakers MUCH sooner! This is coming from someone who listens to talk radio, news and podcasts 95% of the time. That 5% of the time when I want to jam out will be much improved for not much scratch!

The directions were actually useful. I still watched Youtube videos and read how-tos on Subaru forums. How hard this will be also depends a little on whether you've done an install before. I haven't done it in a while, but knew how hard to pull to pop off the door cards, as well as how rough I could be with electrical connectors and the such. I remember being overly timid my first time.

I'm not sure whether Crutchfield tests each kit or not. They use aftermarket adapters, just like anyone can by, which often cover multiple makes and models. My adapters were for Toyota vehicles and there was a bit of a fitment issue. Nothing I couldn't overcome, but if you're a perfectionist you might be annoyed by the slight misalignments you'll encounter.

I do believe they're aware of things like depth fitment re: window track, for example, but that's just simple math, if they know where the track is, speaker dimensions and adapter bracket dimensions.

I've always wondered why factory systems can't use better parts.
If a simple upgrade like this can make such a difference, why couldn't the factory install similar speakers?

I have found that a simple aftermarket stereo sounds better with no other changes.
I put a cheapo refurb Android Auto in our Tundra. Easy peasey. Big improbement.
We put a cheapo JVC in a $40K Silverado for the bluetooth; big improvement.

Low end aftermarket speakers are usually pretty sensitive designed to work well enough with headunit power. Also increasing the size of the diaphragm from 6" to 6x9" increases efficiency as well.

That is really bad putting a 6.5 in a 6.9 opening, just that upgrade alone would make a big difference.

I just went thru this on my Buick and was also surprised how much better new speakers sound with the factory HU.

Good job and enjoy.

Are thouse really pressed f-glass woven diaphrams on the new AO units?
That should give a nicer midrange presentation as they are self-damping

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Duffyjr
That is really bad putting a 6.5 in a 6.9 opening, just that upgrade alone would make a big difference.

I just went thru this on my Buick and was also surprised how much better new speakers sound with the factory HU.

Good job and enjoy.

It's worse! 5" in a 6X9" opening!

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Are thouse really pressed f-glass woven diaphrams on the new AO units?
That should give a nicer midrange presentation as they are self-damping

Description states PPL woofer

looks great.. and sure it sounds 100% better. i have always had good success using stock head unit with aftermarket speakers especially later model vehicles. as long as you get speakers with a lightweight cone and high sensitivity sound should be much improved.

This is one of the first things I do on any of my vehicles. Aftermarket speakers, OEM head unit.

On my 2017 Mustang, I put in two pairs of 6.5" Focal RCX-165 (I cannot recommend these enough), really great sound.

On my 2000 4Runner, Toyota believe it or not put in 4.25" speakers in the rear doors. I guess it makes sense, the car is all off-road focused with no room for any other luxuries. I had to laugh taking them out... I've learned, sometimes you have to be careful placing a way bigger speaker in a smaller cavity. I had to custom build a spacer so the window could roll down and clear the back of the speaker.

Originally Posted by gathermewool

Bear in a mind the listed diameter of a speaker includes the mounting flange. A 6.5" speaker will have a roughly 5" cone.

Originally Posted by CaptainHazelwood

Bear in a mind the listed diameter of a speaker includes the mounting flange. A 6.5" speaker will have a roughly 5" cone.

Good catch. I measured both old speakers, front and rear, and they both have 5" woofers; 5.5" with surround included.

The rear is indeed 6.5", including the mounting flange. I guess it was an optical illusion that the front looked smaller.

My one remaining concern are the three paper "tweeters" in the front dash. Crutchfield responded that my Premium doesn't actually have tweeters, only the upgraded Harman Kardon does, but I'm 100% certain I hear sound from there. You tell me:

[Linked Image]

Regardless, Crutchfield also replied that the closest match, fitment-wise, is a JBL 3.5" two-way speaker. I trust that they know what they're talking about, but I saw at least one other 3.5" speaker with identical dimensions for sale, as well. I guess I'll have to do some measuring and feed that back to Crutchfield

I did find out that the center channel is absent in the Premium model - no harness for a speaker and the cover is actually solid!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Paper tweeters can be better than domes.

Maybe just cross then over at 4-5Khz.

its a "BOSE" reflecting setup anyway with comb filtering issues bouncing off the windscreen.

its a "BOSE" reflecting setup anyway with comb filtering issues bouncing off the windscreen.

Yea, I'm worried I'll get a poor response from anything harder than a silk tweeter. The door speakers have silk domes. I'm also worried about stuffing a (relative) power hog of a speaker in there for the stock head unit.

The Crutchfield recommended 3.5" speakers have PEI (synthetic) tweeters and are only 20W RMS, with sensitivity of 86.5 dB and 3ohms impedance. Any thoughts?

Yea, I'm worried I'll get a poor response from anything harder than a silk tweeter. The door speakers have silk domes. I'm also worried about stuffing a (relative) power hog of a speaker in there for the stock head unit.

The Crutchfield recommended 3.5" speakers have PEI (synthetic) tweeters and are only 20W RMS, with sensitivity of 86.5 dB and 3ohms impedance. Any thoughts?

If it sounds ok I would just leave them but I do think tonal balance is better if all the speakers match, adding the JBL's may not sound as good as what you have now. That being said I left my tweeters in the pillars when I replaced all my speakers and it sounds just fine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back