Cabin Filter Change Interval

Originally Posted by rrretiree7
I have a 2010 Caddy CTS. How often should I change the filter? Thanks for your help

Owner's Manual

Section 10-5

First Engine Oil Change After
Every 40 000 km/25,000 Miles
. Fuel system inspection for
damage or leaks.
. Passenger compartment air
filter replacement (or every
12 months, whichever occurs
first). More frequent replacement
may be required if vehicle is
driven regularly under dusty
conditions

Originally Posted by rrretiree7
I have a 2010 Caddy CTS. How often should I change the filter? Thanks for your help

Change in Oct so you can check for mouse nests. They like to build them on top of the cabin air filter. In the spring you can pull it and vacuum.

Had mine for 316,000 miles. Just wash it out with soap and water. K&N VF2007 I will say the OE filtered better but being able to reuse has been a plus.

it is easy enough to check on many cars...pull the filter and look at it (unless it is a charcoal one as it might be harder to tell)...then give it a sniff...clean and no odor?...leave it be for a bit...smells or dirty looking, change it out...

Bill

well my first change was at 80K probably could have left it in there for another 10K or so wasn't all that bad...

I bought several Fram Charcoal types on clearance at Rock Auto. Once per year works for me. They were cheap so I just change them even though they aren't too bad. Otherwise, I run the risk of getting rid of the cars before I'm out of filters.
smile.gif

Just check it. I've done 100,000 miles on one vehicle and it was fine. I've had another that was filthy after 20,000 miles. It depends on what and where you drive.

I try to do twice/year, if I go a year they tend to look kinda plugged up. Maybe they aren't, but they'll have leaves, acorns and look awful. But a year is 25kmiles and the cars were parked outside--now that they are parked indoors maybe once/year will be just fine.

I try to buy in bulk so as to knock down the price. I don't feel a need for fancy but I wouldn't rule them out either--when my allergies are kicking I really do like the notion of having clean filtered air in the car (a good pollen filter that is).

I prefer 10k 1 year, 20k max regardless of vehicle model or make for best performance and safety. Everything passes through the system so even if the filter may look on the clean side that does not mean it is functioning for your best protection and performance.

Originally Posted by painfx
You guys still change it even if it is still clean?
I find that at 25k it is still clean.

Not around here. Both the cabin and air filter were dirty before changing both yesterday. The cabin had about 20K miles on it. The OEM air filter had 61085 miles.

I like the idea of "checking it". They are so cheap and that often getting to them is difficult (effort & time) I can forgive anyone who does it early.

In my neck of the woods with the cars I've serviced, I'm in the declared 15K to 20K clan. I do not "check 'em" anymore.

One thing never mentioned is that the dirt is often concentrated in one part of the filter. This is a function of the shape of the ducting (obviously) but it does mean accurately assessing T.D.C. (Total Dirt Content) can be skewed.

Engine air filters go 30K - 35K in my book.

Back