0W20 questions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought my first vehicle that requires 0W20 (2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4 QC LT True North Edition.), curious how well this grade holds up over 5-6,000 km?

I will be running Amsoil SS 0W20, thought about trying Rotella truck 0W20, but bring that Amsoil is only .70 cents more per liter, I think Amsoil would be money well spent.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by blufeb95
For 5000-6000km intervals I'd just use the cheapest dexos rated oil you can find.

No such thing exists on this side of the border - a jug is $60 regardless. Amsoil can't be beat for the price.
I love my truck, plan on 300km minimum from it.

Originally Posted by WillB
For 5000-6000km intervals I'd just use the cheapest dexos rated oil you can find.

No such thing exists on this side of the border - a jug is $60 regardless. Amsoil can't be beat for the price.

I just went to Wallmart.ca looks like they have Pennzoil Platinum and Mobil1 AFE for Like $85 for a 3 pack of 5qt jugs, looks like it'd be under 100 shipped unless you're considered remote and they have to charge you shipping

Care to clarify on that? I get Dexos rated oil at Walmart and Canadian Tire all the time for $28 to 30 CDN, and if its Pennzoil I get a $10 rebate from the Pennzoil Canada site.

Last edited:

I will be running Amsoil SS 0W20, thought about trying Rotella truck 0W20, but bring that Amsoil is only .70 cents more per liter, I think Amsoil would be money well spent.

Kind of surprised that Rotella and Amsoil SS are almost the same price in Canada!

Just bought my first vehicle that requires 0W20 (2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4 QC LT True North Edition.), curious how well this grade holds up over 5-6,000 km?

If you want to use Rotella 0w20, wait till it goes on sale at Canadian Tire for around $32. Between CT and Walmart, there will be always a major
brand of oil on sale. Last week Walmart had Valvoline synthetic for around $25! Other brands are usually $28 to $32.

Originally Posted by OilUzer

Kind of surprised that Rotella and Amsoil SS are almost the same price in Canada!

Up here, the regular price of oi is high but no one in their right mind buys it. There is always a major brand name oil
on sale each week from Canadian Tire and Walmart for an average of $30 cdn.

I have a 19 Silverado classic with the 5.3 liter v8 which requires 0w20. I'm a little OCD so I run Pennzoil Ow20 and either a Purolator boss or a Fram Ultra. I like the 5k interval myself because I rotate my tires at the same time. Having worked in the oil change field for 10 years, this interval has served me well. The manufacturers interval is 7500 or 1000 miles past zero on the OLM. I don't haul or tow anything on a regular basis but I also do a lot of short trips. Usually Pennzoil can be had here for about 22 bucks a 5 qt jug. At the end of the day for 10 quarts and a quality filter with the bypass pressure setting that's required, I'm at 60 bucks every oil change. Hope this helps and best regards,

Steve.

I have two of these engines, 2017 & 2018. If you read up on them … Engineers made some changes before switching to 0w20 … pumps, cooler, oil capacity, piston jets, etc. The lower end is stiff on these motors.
To even produce a 0w20 takes a minimum of a semi synthetic to make minimum of Dexos 1.2 standards.
You don't seem like the type to rush out and buy Kirkland oil … but rest assured any of the major brands are making 0w20 plenty good enough for L83's.
And, no matter what top shelf nectar you pour in - these are still direct injection engines and have the potential of diluting/polluting the oil …
The Km you plan should be fine on that front …

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4457874/4

Last edited:
I have a 2018 Silverado, owned since new. I'm now at 50,000 miles and it's on a steady diet of 5,000 mile oil changes, using whatever 0w20 synthetic is on sale. The "best" oil I've used is Rotella Gas Truck. Simply performs the best in my engine (compared to what I've used so far). It's the only oil that has not used a drop in 5,000 mile intervals...prior to that I was using around 3/4's-1 quart between intervals.

I've used...
Pennzoil Platinum — Used 3/4's a quart between changes
Super Tech — Burned the most in my engine...1 quart, maybe more
Carquest Synthetic — Used 3/4's
And two free dealer oil changes — Used around a quart
Rotella Gas Truck — Used next to nothing between intervals.

Make one of those 6 quarts a M1 0W40 then you will be in good shape.

That's why the sump is 5 + 1

for that single of European 0W40 margin booster.

its recommended NOT required!! you could run any 5-30 fake synthetic as most are + protect your engine better, overpriced Scamsoil NOT required!!

+1. You don't need to spend all that money on Amsoil for that short of an oil change.

Just keep an eye on Canadian Tire's sales. I'm sure you can even run a Conventional 5w-30 in the warmer months without issue.

On my 2015 Caravan, I'm running Valvoline White Bottle 5w-30 in the warmer months without any issues.

Last edited:
I am staying synthetic!

Amsoil SS vs Pennzoil Ultra Platinum - which would you choose?

Can't run a 5W30 in the LT engines due to AFM & VVT.

Last edited:
I am staying synthetic!

Amsoil SS vs Pennzoil Ultra Platinum - which would you choose?

Can't run a 5W30 in the LT engines due to AFM & VVT.

That pretty much limits you then.

If you do a global lube match,5W30 is the recommendation. Shell Helix Ultra 5W30 is recommended from Shell's global lube match page.

6,000 km is right around 3800 miles. That engine of yours holds a-lot of oil.
If it's not GDI or turbo, use somewhat near the recommended mileage allowance in your manual for OCI, using any name-brand synthetic. Or if you drive sparingly, use the maximum calendar time-allowance for oil changes.

Amsoil SS is terrific oil. If that's what your little heart desires, use it. I use Ultra Platinum for only 4K.

I know - I know. I've been called Stupid plenty......lol. Want to join my Club?.....lol

0w-20 oils will always be synthetic, and any synthetic can go at least 12,000 km (7500 miles) without problems. If it's a GDI engine, I'd probably go 10,000 km (6200 miles). With Amsoil though, 12,000 km is nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back