RIP Cali

Status
Not open for further replies.
Be sad for her loss but glad that you could giver her a wonderful,happy life. Thank you kind sir. And a tear for you. Been through this many times in the last fifty years and still a little sad over each and everyone. You did your best for her.

Originally Posted by SLO_Town
Rescue dogs are the best. They KNOW you saved them and they remain grateful EVERY SINGLE DAY.

Scott

We have a rescue german shepard. I agree completely. The dog is so sweet and loyal. He is on his last legs too, age 12 with hip arthritis.

Thanks for getting rescue dogs and saving them!

My condolences, the loss of a loved pet is tough, very tough. Go to Amazon and check out the book "A Dog's Purpose". Fantastic read, it will give you a different perspective on your dogs life and your own.

Sorry for your loss. May you know that you loved Cali and she loved you daily. You will always have special memories of her in your heart and mind.

Originally Posted by SLO_Town
Thanks all. It really stings! During our 43 years of marriage my wife and I have had 5 Great Danes (Colby, Megan, Cooper, Stella, and Harley), a border collie (Lizzie), a pit bull (Amber), and Cali, our oh so sweet Norwegian Elk Hound. All except Colby were rescue dogs. Rescue dogs are the best. They KNOW you saved them and they remain grateful EVERY SINGLE DAY.

Scott

We've gone dog friendly at work and I've been trying to bond with a rescue dog at work. Very sweet dog that's been abused as a puppy. One of my biggest regrets of this virus isolation is not getting to spend more time with the dog and try to teach her that people can be nice and gentle.

Sorry for your loss.

Thank you all so much! It is very much appreciated.

That happy face! Her smile!

Scott

PXJzWzFJSQ-M6H0wuGDmIw.jpg

She was 12. We put her down this morning, Saturday the 21st. She hadn't eaten more than 200 calories in the last week. She lost 5.2 pounds in 11 days, and she weighed less than 60 pounds to begin with. She would vomit every time she ate even the smallest bite of food. It was obvious she didn't feel well. Cali had fallen ill twice in the last 6 months, the same kind of thing. Blood tests from the two illnesses looked good, but X-rays showed "mineral deposits" in her gut. Doctor said it was either bones or small rocks. It looked like coarse DG granules to me, which we have on pathways in our 1 acre back yard. During and after her second bout of illness I was checking her poops on a daily basis. Finally she did one and it was loaded with coarse DG granules! But at least she was passing it out of her! When she eats the DG she's in pain (it doesn't look like much in the X-rays), can't eat or drink, and has fever at times. Sometimes she cannot lay down for 12 hours because it hurts her insides to do so. Each of the two previous bouts lasted about 4 or 5 days. They came out of the blue. We reacted and cared for her as quickly as we could. We had X-rays and blood work done immediately, both times. She got medicine. The first bout was really bad, but the second one even worse (about 3 months after the first). A few times I thought about taking her to the 24 hour ER and having her put down immediately. But the second time she got better just in the nick of time and seemed to be getting back to her own self, about 85%. We decided if this happens a third time we'd put her down. This "illness" absolutely wracks her. It's hard to watch! The second bout was about a month or 6 weeks ago. She slowly recovered but she never got above 85%. Then she seemed to go on a gradual decline backwards. She slowly lost her appetite, she was in mild pain at times (the pain was far, far worse the first two bouts, and only occasional), she wasn't smiling anymore. She wasn't thriving. We tried every trick to get her to eat, like giving her our finest, fresh grilled human food, which she liked at first. Getting her to eat anything was a big victory! But over a month's time she gradually wouldn't eat anything but an occasional morsel. We'd make three different meals a night to entice her to eat. And even barely eating she was vomiting regularly, small food morsels that she had eaten 24 hours earlier. We were giving her prescription anti-nausea pills. She was still pooping, although they were small because she wasn't eating (or partial blockage?). Although she was not as ill as the first two times, this was it. She wasn't going to come out of this. So, given that 1) she was having more bad days than good, 2) she seemed to be in a steady decline, 3) there was no medical treatment that could reverse things…..we had no choice.

She was a really good girl.

Scott

Scott - I am so very sorry for your loss!

What a wonderful dog. She got the best of care and sounds like she had a great life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back