9mm vs. .40 s&w

Status
Not open for further replies.
The caliber that's better, is the one you can shoot well.[/quote]

True however I shoot all handgun calibers with the same accurac. So being all the same and you shoot each one with great accuracy Id choose 40 over 9mm.

Originally Posted by hatt
The speed/accuracy difference between 9mm and whatever other service round is inconsequential in actual encounters with a somewhat proficient shooter. The capacity difference is also massively overblown. Loosing a couple rounds in a 13+ round gun isn't a big deal. When you're mag dumping to slide lock it's just two less rounds to hit bystanders.

What guns big agencies carry has little impact on what I want to carry since their issues they need to address aren't necessarily mine.

That's the important bit. Most cops are social workers that happen to carry guns.

BSW

Originally Posted by bsmithwins
The speed/accuracy difference between 9mm and whatever other service round is inconsequential in actual encounters with a somewhat proficient shooter. The capacity difference is also massively overblown. Loosing a couple rounds in a 13+ round gun isn't a big deal. When you're mag dumping to slide lock it's just two less rounds to hit bystanders.

What guns big agencies carry has little impact on what I want to carry since their issues they need to address aren't necessarily mine.

That's the important bit. Most cops are social workers that happen to carry guns.

BSW

Yep. And caliber doesn't make them proficient. They are a danger to themselves and everyone around them.

I prefer the .40 caliber. What you see in the pic below is just 1 box of multiple boxes of this ammo I have. Esp. Winchester LE JHP ammo.

CALIBER40.jpeg

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
I prefer the .40 caliber. What you see in the pic below is just 1 box of multiple boxes of this ammo I have. Esp. Winchester LE JHP ammo.

Nice stack right there! I'd try to get you some Remington golden sabers bonded if you can mean bullet for sure.

Originally Posted by Dragon44

Nice stack right there! I'd try to get you some Remington golden sabers bonded if you can mean bullet for sure.

Thanks.
All those boxes you see in the pic, I have 3 more of each. Some I have 6-7 more of each.
I usually buy my ammo from SGAMMO.COM. But, they're not selling any ammo right now.
I will try some RGS when SGAMMO starts selling ammo again.

Originally Posted by Dragon44

Thanks.
All those boxes you see in the pic, I have 3 more of each. Some I have 6-7 more of each.
I usually buy my ammo from SGAMMO.COM. But, they're not selling any ammo right now.
I will try some RGS when SGAMMO starts selling ammo again.

Nice yeah I know alot of places are sold out or they skyrocketed the prices. Try ammoseek.com it tells you all the websites prices and it will find the best prices it's a good tool that I use it regularly.

gun-deals.com is another price aggregator that's easy to use.

SGA had Federal 155gr JHPs for about $0.28/rnd before the panic.

BSW

BSW

Yep. And caliber doesn't make them proficient. They are a danger to themselves and everyone around them.

I disagree, adamantly.

Harder recoiling caliber/pistol combinations don't help.

For an individual shooter, pick whatever caliber makes you feel good It's your thing, do whatcha ya wanna do.

Since I'm personally unconvinced that .40 S&W or .45 ACP has any significant advantage over 9mmP, if I was purchasing a thousand pistols for a organization I'd pick 9mmP.

Lower recoil, smaller, lighter, higher capacity, better fit for the majority of users. Plus ammo is cheaper, which is also a concern for an organization that has to pay for ammo expended for training, qualification, and rotating duty ammo.

BSW

I have had a Glock 22 since 1992. Still carry it in the winter time. Accurate and powerful, my carry loads are 165gr Winchester HP's. Here is something I observed yesterday at our local Bi-Mart store (03-21-2020) that was interesting. All the 45acp, 9mm, 380, 38 & 357 was gone but the supply of 40 S&W looked like it was never touched !! Blazer Brass, Winchester WB and other more self defense type ammo was available.

One of the many reasons that I own multiple calibers in a pistol is that I can tailor the round to the circumstances.

Another is that it's rare to have everything out of stock at the same time.

So, .22 LR, .22 WMR, 9mm, .38spl, .38 Super, .40S&W, 10mm, .45 ACP, all have their place.

Similar philosophy with rifles, 5.56, .308/7.62, 7.5x55mm Swiss, .30-40 Krag, .30-06, 8mm, .45-70. All have their place, too.

And some of those will be in stock, even when the usual spikes in demand happen on 9mm and 5.56...

Originally Posted by Fatboymoe
All the 45acp, 9mm, 380, 38 & 357 was gone but the supply of 40 S&W looked like it was never touched !! Blazer Brass, Winchester WB and other more self defense type ammo was available.

Good to hear !!! Might need to go shop for some additional rounds for the PPS.

Originally Posted by Astro14
One of the many reasons that I own multiple calibers in a pistol is that I can tailor the round to the circumstances.

So, .22 LR, .22 WMR, 9mm, .38spl, .38 Super, .40S&W, 10mm, .45 ACP, all have their place.

Similar philosophy with rifles, 5.56, .308/7.62, 7.5x55mm Swiss, .30-40 Krag, .30-06, 8mm, .45-70. All have their place, too.

And some of those will be in stock, even when the usual spikes in demand happen on 9mm and 5.56...

I'm the opposite. Almost all the pistols are in 9mmP, and I buy case lots when it's on sale or has free shipping so have thousands of rounds socked away.

Pretty much the same with rifle calibers. Mostly 556, some 7.62x39, and then odds and ends.

BSW

I'm the opposite. Almost all the pistols are in 9mmP, and I buy case lots when it's on sale or has free shipping so have thousands of rounds socked away.

Pretty much the same with rifle calibers. Mostly 556, some 7.62x39, and then odds and ends.

BSW
Wow that is a boring lineup.

You're worst than me with all the calibers. I've passed on a couple new guns/calibers lately. It's not just buying the gun. Now I'd have to by dies, brass, maybe bullets. It gets out of hand quick.

I forgot to mention my new .300 BLK...so, I'm even worse than I said...

Ironically, if I do start reloading, it will be to support the obscure calibers, like .30-40 Krag, or .45-70, because buying them straight out is very expensive, like $2.00/round.

The biggest savings will be there.

Next would be .30-06, because I go through a lot of that, and have 10 rifles in that caliber.

Honestly, much of my ammo was bought at a price at which I can't beat by reloading. If it gets back down to that price, I'll just buy 9mm, etc. outright.

Last edited:
Reloading is a must with stuff like .45-70. Just for the versatility. You can go from a pleasant, but still quite effective, shoot all day load to hunt anything on Earth loads. 300 black is another versatile one. My friend just got his can out of jail for his 300 Tavor SBR. He's wanting me to help his get into reloading. 300 subs aren't cheap.

Last edited:
The 556 rifles cover the gamut from an AUG to a 556 AK, with a bunch in between.

Personally I'd find a collection of a dozen AR15s in a dozen calibers to be boring, but that's a matter of taste.

BSW

The 556 rifles cover the gamut from an AUG to a 556 AK, with a bunch in between.

Personally I'd find a collection of a dozen AR15s in a dozen calibers to be boring, but that's a matter of taste.

BSW

I got bored with modern military style rifles. I currently have a few because they are useful for reasons but I couldn't care less about having a bunch of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back