2500hd 4x4 noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been noticing a noise in the front end of my truck. It's a 2008 Chevy 2500hd. It's only when in 4x4 and changes on acceleration or coasting. I hear it when accelerating mostly or when turning and the wheels are binding. I'm thinking it is in the front differential. I have jacked it up and spun everything by hand but can't seem to find anything noticable. I'm doubting it's a wheel bearing because it's only in 4x4. I drive a similar truck with the same drivetrain for work and the 4x4 is almost silent. So I know something is off on this one. Does anyone have any ideas on what to look for before I pull the differential?

Are the tires all matching? If the tires don't match it will bind up the driveline because the front and rear tires aren't spinning at the same speed.

I'm assuming you have checked and its not out of gear oil. Is there any chance it has has water in the diff? like crossing a flooded area. Have you owned it since new?

Last edited:
I would plan to change the gear oil and clean the magnet on the fill pug. If the plug is absolutely covered full I would clean it, put it back, fill the diff and run it more to clean out any additional filings. Here is a drain plug covered with filings and a shot of the cleaned up drain plug and fill plug from a 2008 3/4 ton Chev.
How many miles?

EFE87870-2631-497E-BF03-8A4A68D6D497.jpeg

D6AAD8BD-2E13-44E2-A8F8-23918A79602A.jpeg

Last edited:
It's full of gear oil. I bought this truck a little over a year ago and changed the oil after I bought it with Valvoline synthetic 75w90. I recently took the drain plug out to check for shavings on the magnet and it was still clean and so was the oil.

Did you jack up the whole front end? Did you turn the front wheels full left/right and turn the tires by hand? Is the transfer case full of oil? If you can't find anything at this point, remove the front drive shaft and see if noise goes away. Good Luck !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back