Air Compressor Selection

Originally Posted by KD0AXS
Originally Posted by dlundblad
I don't understand the difference between oil and oil free. You'd think an oiled compressor would be the best long term buy. Is one quieter than the other?

I can see oil free being better in severe cold. No oil to churn and less strain on the system.

There are pros and cons to both.

Oil free compressors are cheaper, have very little if any maintenance, and take up less space. However, they also tend to be louder and generally have shorter life. They will work just fine for the average DIYer, but they don't satisfy the tool superiority complex found here on BITOG and other forums.

Oiled compressors are quieter, generally last longer, and are better for heavier usage. They are also more expensive. If your compressor is going to see heavy use and you want it to last a long time, oiled is the way to go.

It's no surprise people on tool and mechanical oriented forums are going to lean towards superior designs. Belt drive oiled compressors are clearly superior in a shop setting. The cost isn't that big if you factor in the longevity and apples to apples brands/compressors. My brother is on his second oil-less compressor since I've had mine. He has more money in the two and he still complains about the noise. Buy once cry once.

The oil-less stuff is good if you need a truly portable compressor you're going to drag all over the place and load in and out of a pickup.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
Originally Posted by The Critic
Not sure why I did not notice this particular compressor until now:

https://www.cpopowertools.com/dewal...electric-air-compressor/dewndxcm251.html

25 gal, 200 psi, oil-lubricated and 6.2 scfm. From a volume standpoint, I think this may beat the 30-gal/155 psi setup in the Husky and almost equal the Kobalt. Cost with the current coupon is $519. Noise is also lower than the Kobalt. Thoughts?

I considered that model when I was shopping. Looks like a better buy than the HF version IMO.

My local Tractor Supply carries them as well as an IR version.

I decided to order the Dewalt 25 gal oiled model. HD pricematched CPO tools for me. HD/Lowes carry this model but TSC does not. There is a 27 gal model with similar specs but it is an oil-free.

Originally Posted by Donald
How about putting the compressor next to your circuit breaker box at 220v and run an 3/4" air line to workshop?

My circuit breaker box is inside of the house (the garage was previously a tandem garage but they decided to turn a section of it into an office).

Last edited:
Congratulations on the new compressor!

Just a suggestion... Replace the OEM quick disconnect with a quality high flow, and all your hoses ends to match. You may wait more often for pump recovery time, but all your tools will run as fast and hard as on a larger system.

Critic, Good choice. I went through similar last year and bought the tractor supply version of that, horizontally configured. Think it's an IR, 115V, 27Gal, V-cylinder. Love it. Far more usable than the compact 5 gallon direct drive I was using before.

I first bought a HF model, but took it back once I realized it had no AMSE certification on the tank. I'm probably being too paranoid, but safety is important to me.

Thats a nice unit, higher psi means you have alot more run time.

if you are using an air tool that requires 90-100psi, and your air compressor is 125(typical 8gal oiled compressor pressure) it wont kick on till 100psi or so.. so you have 35psi "runtime" in the tank
A 200psi tank of the same size will have at least 3x the useable air and it will kick on while the pressure is still well above usable.

I would never again buy a compressor for tool use that is under 150psi, and higher is better.

You can also compensate for longer hose runs or non-high flow fittings by turning the regulator up abit.

Estes express delivered it today and it appears to be well-packaged. Will post more once I can find some help to unload the compressor off of the pallet.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Rand

if you are using an air tool that requires 90-100psi, and your air compressor is 125(typical 8gal oiled compressor pressure) it wont kick on till 100psi or so.. so you have 35psi "runtime" in the tank
A 200psi tank of the same size will have at least 3x the useable air and it will kick on while the pressure is still well above usable.

I would never again buy a compressor for tool use that is under 150psi, and higher is better.

You can also compensate for longer hose runs or non-high flow fittings by turning the regulator up abit.

I would take and pick a compressor on CFM of the pump over any spec all the time. In general PSI capability is a poor way to pick a compressor..

Originally Posted by dave123
Originally Posted by Rand

I would take and pick a compressor on CFM of the pump over any spec all the time. In general PSI capability is a poor way to pick a compressor..

But for folks with a set circuit capability, one only gets so much. In that case, PSI is a reasonable factor, assuming the actual machine's com ratings are all the same.

Originally Posted by dave123

I would take and pick a compressor on CFM of the pump over any spec all the time. In general PSI capability is a poor way to pick a compressor.

when you are restricted to 120v there is a limit on the motor and they are all aprox the same
6.2 SCFM at 90 PSI is quite competitive.

The psi is for runtime
200 maximum PSI provides 76% longer air tool run time vs. 30 Gal. 155 PSI belt drive air compressors

That dewalt blows my home air compressor away and is significantly quieter.
Now at the shop there is a 2 stage DeVilbiss beast. but you wont run that on 120v or talk over it ever..
grin2.gif

My home compressor will run up to 175psi max
My shop compressor runs up to 125psi max
Given that and only spec what compressor you pick for running air tools painting or sand blasting.

today many things including compressors are made by the same manufacturer @ varying prices, sometimes color is the only difference!! was thinking of replacing my old 60 gal craftsman when lug nuts were getting harder to remove BUT a larger feed hose + a newer air gun cured that!!! be aware of duty cycle if wanting to run it longer!!

Back