Generac vs Simpson OHV engines

Status
Not open for further replies.

In looking at pressure washers it seems that the manufactures have many differences in the OHV engines they use. In particular when it comes to Simpson and Generac pressure washers using a OHV motor both manufactures seem to lean towards their own brands vs Honda or similar. I believe that Champions makes their own motor in the USA but can't get a straight answer. Where Generac is concerned it appears their OHV engines are Chinese designed and made. Since I am looking at new and trying to contain cost is one engine maker better than the other? In the case of Simpson I can buy a refurb with a Honda motor but the warranty is only 90 days vs a few years for new.

The pump matters more than what engine is on the pressure washer. Honda is overrated and not necessary. The most positive attribute a Honda engine will have is obtaining parts years down the road.

Why is the Simpson a refurb? Is it a model with a junk pump that will blow up in the middle of a job? I bought a refurbed Oster toaster once that didin't last one week.

Champion engines are made in China but this may interest you:
https://www.championpowerequipment.com/why-champion/

I don't know the specifics.

All I can give is my anecdotal evidence that the General engine is great.

I have a commercial 3800psi unit with a Generac motor and a Annovi triplex pump, and it's been absolutely perfect in every aspect for the 6 years I've owned it. Motor has ample power, runs smooth, uses no oil. Starts first pull every single time.

If you look at the Harbor Freight Predator pressure washers and the Generac's, you will notice many models are exact less the paint colors and decals.

Originally Posted by sloinker
If you look at the Harbor Freight Predator pressure washers and the Generac's, you will notice many models are exact less the paint colors and decals.

I just checked to confirm and it looks like this is false.

I looked up an equivalent model to my Generac, and the Harbor freight has a cheapo frame, pneumatic tires, and most importantly an axial pump.

Not the same, at all.

Generac did start making some cheaper small homeowner grade units. Maybe those are the same as the HF. I don't know.

Originally Posted by emmett442

I looked up an equivalent model to my Generac, and the Harbor freight has a cheapo frame, pneumatic tires, and most importantly an axial pump.

Not the same, at all.

Generac did start making some cheaper small homeowner grade units. Maybe those are the same as the HF. I don't know.

I physically went to Menards, Home Depot, Tractor Supply and Harbor Freight yesterday and looked at what they had in person as I am in the market to replace my old electric Karcher with a gas model. I was left with the impression that the Harbor Freight Predator Models and the Generac's were pretty close. The Motors and pumps being exact iirc. Generac has many models but HF only a couple. Truth be told, after looking at what was available at all those locations and online I am more undecided than ever on what to buy. Everything has pretty much gone to axial pumps, even many of the commercial units, triplex pumps double the price on most washers and don't make a lot of sense for most residential consumers.

Last edited:
My concern was if the Chinese motors were any good. Honda or USA engines command a premium.

The higher end models of pressure washers sold by Harbor Freight near me are Simpson brand clones and are referred to as such on the Harbor Freight site. Not Generac

Originally Posted by emmett442

Not the same, at all.

I physically went to Menards, Home Depot, Tractor Supply and Harbor Freight yesterday and looked at what they had in person as I am in the market to replace my old electric Karcher with a gas model. I was left with the impression that the Harbor Freight Predator Models and the Generac's were pretty close. The Motors and pumps being exact iirc. Generac has many models but HF only a couple. Truth be told, after looking at what was available at all those locations and online I am more undecided than ever on what to buy. Everything has pretty much gone to axial pumps, even many of the commercial units, triplex pumps double the price on most washers and don't make a lot of sense for most residential consumers.

I got a 'commercial" Generac unit with a triplex pump for $100 more than a equivalently specd HF unit with a axial pump. Frame assembly is much better, too.

Makes a lot of sense, even for residential, to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back