The Wine Thread (+ Beer and Liquors)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife and I are not increasing our light consumption of the Fruit of the Vine (wine), and maintaining our usual serving of wine with dinner. Last night it was Gnarly Head Authentic Black, Lodi California 2017. It's a Cabernet. We prefer Cabernet in reds. We have a Reisling by Chateau St Michele chilling for this evening. Typically what we find in the wine aisle, on sale, at the grocery.

We don't partake of the hard stuff, except for we keep one bottle of whiskey on hand for the occasional but rare shot in a cup of hot beverage before bed if a toddy is warranted or desired. That only occurred two or three times last year, so as you can imagine that bottle is a bit dusty, lol.

Beer wise we consume lightly as well, always a light since she is calorie and carb conscious.

dogfish head slightly mighty lo-cal ipa is too good to be true, if you like ipas ! 3.6 carbs + 95 cals per 12 oz can with 4% alky. i drink beer for the taste in spite of its effect, not for the Buzz! glad i tried this one as it replaces other ipas with more alky + carbs, not cheap but compared to other ipas its usually better + shopping around as usual is best. ask your smaller locals for it as prices can be better. like overpriced 4 wd pickups craft beers high prices are gouging you due to popularity!!

I had a Josh cabernet the other night and it was fantastic, I think it was a 16. Ill look for that and Coppola Claret from now on. As for beer Ive been leaning towards easy drinking while cooking or hanging outside. Big fan of Oskar Blues' Little Yella Pils or their Pinner session IPA.

The Chateau Reisling is a solid "grocery store" wine. There's a lot of good choices readily available at ~ $10 level. While we have cabs around, half of my collection is probably zins. I have tried the GN zin and wasn't impressed, but (obviously) everyone's tastes are different. Keep exploring and you'll probably find some that you really like. When you do, buy in bulk. A lot of these stores give 6-12 bottle discounts,

Originally Posted by SevenBizzos
The Chateau Reisling is a solid "grocery store" wine. There's a lot of good choices readily available at ~ $10 level. While we have cabs around, half of my collection is probably zins. I have tried the GN zin and wasn't impressed, but (obviously) everyone's tastes are different. Keep exploring and you'll probably find some that you really like. When you do, buy in bulk. A lot of these stores give 6-12 bottle discounts,

Agreed, in that CSM Reisling is both good and fairly cheap, but there are better German Reislings and Gewurztraminers that don't cost much more.
You might also try Hogue and Fetzer Reislings and Gewurztraminers which are also less than ten bucks a bottle.
I'd recommend that anyone try some Spanish wines.
There are some very nice Spanish reds and these wines are usually well priced.
With any wine, try a bottle and if you like it you can always go back and buy a case.

Lately I've been enjoying various petite shiraz wines, but I also like pinot noir and cab. I'm working through a bottle of Trapiche malbec at present. Wife doesn't drink, and I usually only have a glass a day, so it takes me a while.

Chateau St. Michelle dry riesling is also very nice.

Wine: Valpolicella Ripasso

Beer: Coffee Milk Stout, or a good Pilsner, depending on whether I want something heavy or light.

Spirit: Too many good ones out there to list. Strong bourbon with an ice cube, or a scotch old enough to order its own scotch, neat.

Just did an online order / curbside pickup of some IPAs at a local brewery in McKinney, TX.

Not a big wine drinker but ample supply of mostly Kirkland reds in stock.

Cheers!

Awww tough it out......$3 Chuck from Trader Joe's. Like the old Sarge would say " Good Nuff". Yea I know it's called $2 Chuck which it is unless you live in one of those ...ªplaces like me.

Originally Posted by Driz
Awww tough it out......$3 Chuck from Trader Joe's. Like the old Sarge would say " Good Nuff". Yea I know it's called $2 Chuck which it is unless you live in one of those ...ªplaces like me.

Yeah, but then you're entering a totally different category. Bum Wines is a great resource. No need for any updates. Those are all classics!

Wine grapes are over planted in California. Both grapes and wine prices are dropping at the wholesale level. Boomers are dying off and lowering consumption, and the younger generations are shifting to craft beers and hard seltzer.
Bad news for vineyard and wineries. Good news for wine drinkers.
A lot of good wineries (nothing near Lodi, lol) are bulking out their excess production to bulk dealers like the one(s) that supply Two Buck Chuck. If you find something you like, buy all you can at those prices. You might be getting a $30 bottle of primo Zinfandel with another label.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back