Use Delvac syn. blend in 2017 Cruze?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought some Mobil Delvac 10w 30 syn. blend HDEO on clearance a while back. It is rated CK 4 but has no API ratings or Dexos rating on container for gasoline engines. The conventional Delvac HDEO has API ratings (but not Dexos rating) on container for gasoline engines.

Would it be ok to use in a 2017 Cruze with 1.4 L turbo engine in the southeast (GA/SC) year round? The car is out of warranty and has about 60,000 miles, and is mostly used for city driving.

Out of spec too when I use M1 0w40 and it's running great at 128k on the clock

This it ?

CE370B83-6007-4407-B31E-C5B9D815BE62.png

Last edited:
Yes that is it, but on the label it doesn't have the SM rating as the specs you provided show. It has CK-4, CJ-4, CI-4 ratings , but no API rating of any type for gasoline engines.
Looks like the production date code on container (not really sure) may indicate it was bottled sometime in 2017.

Thank you for the info.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Out of spec too when I use M1 0w40 and it's running great at 128k on the clock

This it ?

Um, that's for gas engines, it's not "out of spec"...

Originally Posted by Electromotive
Yes that is it, but on the label it doesn't have the SM rating as the specs you provided show. It has CK-4, CJ-4, CI-4 ratings , but no API rating of any type for gasoline engines.
Looks like the production date code on container (not really sure) may indicate it was bottled sometime in 2017.

Thank you for the info.

What troubles me is it's not on the website either. I'd use it in power equipment like a mower....

Originally Posted by Jackson_Slugger
I honestly wouldn't use an oil that doesn't have API in a gasser...

Why is that?

Originally Posted by CT8
Originally Posted by Jackson_Slugger
I honestly wouldn't use an oil that doesn't have API in a gasser...

Why is that?

Because obviously it's not formulated or intended for it, most HDEO's do have SL-SN ratings. Maybe an older beater be fine, but not a 2017 Is anyone that cheap that they'd even risk anything issues?...

This Mobil Delvac SE 10W-30 DOES have SN listed: https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants...bricants/products/mobil-delvac-super-fe/

Mobil's full syn 10W-30 HDEO is rated SM/SL.

Maybe there's a reason the OP's "Extreme" version does not?

Bought some Mobil Delvac 10w 30 syn. blend HDEO on clearance a while back. It is rated CK 4 but has no API ratings or Dexos rating on container for gasoline engines. The conventional Delvac HDEO has API ratings (but not Dexos rating) on container for gasoline engines.

Would it be ok to use in a 2017 Cruze with 1.4 L turbo engine in the southeast (GA/SC) year round? The car is out of warranty and has about 60,000 miles, and is mostly used for city driving.

Your best bet is to email Mobil and ask them if this particular version of their 10W-30 can be used in a gas engine, and why both their other 10W HDEO's have API gas ratings...

Thank you for the info.

And it's not in the ILSAC world … too thick … has 3.6 HTHS …

Unlike mine, 2017 should be Direct Injection in addition to the turbo (mine just turbo) … so SN plus is better for LSPI and that kind of stuff.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 4WD
Yeah it is
No need to phone or email Mobil

Which one? LINK? There's THREE 10W-30 Delvac oils and one clearly does not state any API gas engine ratings...

Originally Posted by mattwithcats
I would use what Chevrolet recommends, a Dexos motor oil.

You need a specific viscosity, and additives or you will kill the turbo and pre-cat...

I suggest Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy, in 0W-30...

https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants/for-personal-vehicles/our-products/products/mobil-1-0w-30/

I agree with this, but a Delvac HDEO probably won't hurt anything provided it at least has gas engine approvals. But some here want to cut and paste nonsense to win an argument...

You are (like most things you post) looking for a fight. I'm the one that pointed out a 2017 is TDI … not you.
What I pasted is from Mobil … I'd put in in my 3.6 Charger, my Fusion, or my Cruze in a heartbeat …
But not that TDI … SN+
Now go read what you suggested putting that Delvac in …

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 4WD
You are (like most things you post) looking for a fight. I'm the one that pointed out a 2017 is TDI … not you.
What I pasted is from Mobil … I'd put in in my 3.6 Charger, my Fusion, or my Cruze in a heartbeat …
But not that TDI … SN+
Now go read what you suggested putting that Delvac in …

I am not looking for a fight.

You pasted the wrong oil! I never said anything about "SN+". I said SL-SN FFS. Any gas cert...

Buy the oil from him and put it in your car then!

What did I "suggest putting Delvac in" specifically?

The actual spec'd oil in this case (and mine) is Dexos 5w30 … it's going to be SN plus.
API is CK on that Delvac … others are just recommendations from Mobil … same with the Delvac Super I ran in my last GMC gasser
It was not to any typical spec (no different than what the site moderator used to do).
According to the OP I posted what he has …
He's trying to measure risk … I'd run it in PI and N/A engines … a 2013 6.0 that's part of a fleet is an example
I also came to realize his is TDI and mine is not … so I pointed that out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back