1981 Ford 1100

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last summer I picked up this little tractor to do some landscaping and other chores around the yard. It's been great and sometimes I find myself just driving it around for fun. The thing is I've never had a tractor and don't know a huge amount about diesels. Anyone have any advice they'd like to offer a new tractor owner? What's this fuel gel business? Do I change hydraulic fluid ever?

30FBA214-1772-419C-86ED-08A576986A2A.jpeg

Last edited:
If you drive it around and want to start it in the winter, you may fin that in extreme cold (and that can be 10-15F) the diesel will fill with wax crystals and clog up the fuel lines and filter. In cold weather, add Power Service White Bottle (available at every Wal Mart) to your fuel. It prevents gelling and increases cetane rating making it easier to start.

You might want to go to the tractorbynet.com forum to get some really good advice. I learned quite a bit from them when I started out on my compact tractor.

Yes change the hydraulic/ trans fluid oil on a regular basis and fuel gelling is the wax in the diesel congeals in below freezing temps and there is winter diesel blends or even better anti gel additives you add to the fuel. nice tractor thing of the maintenance like on a car. engine oil and coolant trans filters ,frequent greasing and trams oil changes etc.

Originally Posted by Warlord
Last summer I picked up this little tractor to do some landscaping and other chores around the yard. It's been great and sometimes I find myself just driving it around for fun. The thing is I've never had a tractor and don't know a huge amount about diesels. Anyone have any advice they'd like to offer a new tractor owner? What's this fuel gel business? Do I change hydraulic fluid ever?

Very nice tractor !!!ðŸ‘

Ah ok good to know. I don't really have any interest in using it when it's really cold out. Something about operating a freezing cold chunk of steel doesn't seem too appealing to me. I'm gonna grease everything I can get at tomorrow and change the oil. Then it's time to get to work clearing some dead trees. Can't wait!

Originally Posted by JayhawkRoy
You might want to go to the tractorbynet.com forum to get some really good advice. I learned quite a bit from them when I started out on my compact tractor.

Yep, TBN or MyTractorForum are great resources. It's been years since I participated over there, but lots of great people and info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back