2006 VW Jetta 2.5 spark plugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
New to me 135k. May be factory plugs, I'm more sure. They looks pretty good! No signs of anything wrong or burning oil. Replaced the stock VW coils with Audi red tops.

20200321_111523.jpg

20200321_111548.jpg

Originally Posted by LazyDog
keep an eye on the PCV which is part of the valve cover, they have to be replace at some point.

I'm assuming the whole valve cover has to be replaced? They're a great little engine! Not the fastest car I've owned but midrange torque is nice.

I had a 2006 Jetta 2.5 and had the PCV valve problem. I don't think the individual parts for that were available at that time. I found this kit here at Advance Auto Parts. One thing to keep in mind is that there may be other brands if you don't like this one for some reason but here it is:

VW PCV diaphragm repair kit

I just thought you might want to see that before you spend all that money replacing an otherwise good valve cover. I don't get why those parts were not available before.

The VW 2.5 has not changed much. My 2006 Jetta had a MAF sensor but that is missing on 2013. My guess is they switched to MAP on later models. Other than that everything looks the same so it is possible that it would also work on later models.

One fun fact this engine uses the head from a Lamborghini Gallardo V-10

That change also makes it possible for the new engine to use one Lamborghini part--the aluminum-alloy 20-valve cylinder head found on one bank of the Gallardo's V-10. This greatly improves the engine's breathing over the two-valves-per-cylinder head on the previous four-cylinder Jetta. Combined with variable intake-valve timing, the result is peak torque of 168 pound-feet, up 38 percent from the old engine, despite just a 25-percent displacement increase. Peak power is up 30 percent to 148 horsepower, proving the new engine is biased toward torque.

Here is link for article
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a18202887/volkswagen-jetta-road-test/

I read that somewhere once. Volkswagen owns Lamborghini so it would be easy for them to use the already existing parts from other vehicles such as those. Rather than spending all that money to design a new part for the 2.5 they just used that instead and made the 2.5 block work with it. The newer non TFSI 2.5 is 170 HP. If the Passat was not my only car it would be nice to get a hold of the 2.5 from a TT RS but good luck keeping tires on that thing.

I heard the I5 and the V10 have a lot in common. I've heard you can use the V10 head but I didn't look deep enough to confirm. It handles great and the suspension looks to be less complex than my BMW. I noticed on the back of the motor it's a little wet, I thought maybe a weeping rear main but I dug further and it looks like the vacuum pump gasket is kaput. Watched a couple videos and it seems easy. Seems I'll need a vag-com cable too.

after reading that they share the same boreXstroke, it must be hard to resist ordering rods and pistons to up the compression and then it would make sense to do the camshafts too, it would be close to 'half a lambo motor'. you should contact APR to see if they'd be interested in using yours as a development car
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back