Anyone Own a BMW 5-Series Wagon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by MCompact
The E39 is widely regarded as the best 5 Series ever. For me the sweet spot is a 530i Sport with three pedals.

I agree. The 3.0 was better than the 2.8. It had more "power" and got better mileage besides. But they're both very good engines.

And I'd rather have had a 3.0CS than a 2800CS for the same reason (but I'd have taken either one in good rust free condition).

As noted the I6 engines are both very good. They're relatively light and (in the 5 series at least) came with rack and pinion steering instead of the recirculating ball steering of the V8s. Many people say the I6 models handle better than V8s for both of those reasons.

The I6s are also said to be more reliable than the V8s, and less subject to cooling problems. And they certainly get better mileage than the V8s.

While on the subject of 2800CS and 3.0CS models, I've always admired them, but never saw one for sale while the used models were reasonably priced. And they cost the earth now. My wife says I should think of my E39 528i 5MT sport as being an updated 2800CS, and keep it as a future classic car.

On the subject of reliability, the shop foreman at my BMW repair place in Edmonton kept an older E39 5MT for his wife because "it was so reliable". That was all I needed to know on the subject .

Probably wasn't an Xi either. The cars sure have better steering feel when RWD only.

Originally Posted by mattd
I had an E60 545 V8 6 speed manual. That car was an absolute blast to drive. Had active steering, sport package and cold weather package. It was not cheap to maintain or fun to work on. I ended up getting rid of the car after one year of ownership due to TONS of problems. I had gone through entire cooling system, valve cover gaskets (which is not easy or fun on a V8), crankcase breathers, multiple sets of tires and list goes on. This was over the span of 10 months. When I got rid of it it needed a clutch, a starter, front control arms (compliance bushings) and had some I drive issues. Took a huge hit on equity but it was better for the long run. Bought with 58k miles got rid of it with 77k. I do miss the driving experience, though.

Obviously not an E61 but still my BMW experience

Originally Posted by john_pifer
Originally Posted by ecotourist
Close. I have an E39 528i sedan with a manual transmission. It's even a charcoal colour. Mine has the interior appearance package and the M-sport package, ski pass through, zenon headlights, sunroof, etc.

It's a great car. It rides great, handles great, and doesn't have squeaks or rattles. It gets good mileage (though I always use premium fuel). The fit and finish is wonderful. It's even been relatively reliable - for a European car. By comparison, it costs less to maintain than my Volvo 740 Turbo did. It's 20 years old now and it still looks terrific, both inside and out.

Sometimes I think I should buy a new car, but I really don't want to give this one up. And anyway I haven't found anything I like better, or even as much.

What don't I like - nothing really. There is one thing. I don't like the way the sun visors sit when used on the side window. I suspect the frame for the roof is too stout for them to sit nicely.

PS That's an E39 in the photos.

Man! Don't get rid of that car! It has character. Something that is sorely lacking in today's vanilla, antiseptic, car-appliances.

Do you have any photos you could post? With the M-Sport package, I bet it came with some nice wheels. BMW has always outfitted its cars with very nice wheels from the factory.

A photo should be attached (fingers crossed). This photo is taken in Edmonton, thus the Alberta license.

As you say it came with nice wheels (the previous M5's wheels in fact), and of course blacked out trim.

BMW cropped.jpg

Originally Posted by drtyler
Probably wasn't an Xi either. The cars sure have better steering feel when RWD only.

Originally Posted by mattd
I had an E60 545 V8 6 speed manual. That car was an absolute blast to drive. Had active steering, sport package and cold weather package. It was not cheap to maintain or fun to work on. I ended up getting rid of the car after one year of ownership due to TONS of problems. I had gone through entire cooling system, valve cover gaskets (which is not easy or fun on a V8), crankcase breathers, multiple sets of tires and list goes on. This was over the span of 10 months. When I got rid of it it needed a clutch, a starter, front control arms (compliance bushings) and had some I drive issues. Took a huge hit on equity but it was better for the long run. Bought with 58k miles got rid of it with 77k. I do miss the driving experience, though.

Obviously not an E61 but still my BMW experience

Yes it was RWD. Handled like it was on rails. Even at very high speeds.

The fiancee sent me a cell phone pic she shot of an older BMW 5-Series Wagon the other day. She knows I like stuff like that.

I asked her if she'd consider owning one instead of a boring SUV one day when we have kids. She said she would. A manual transmission would be a must for us.

Anyone own one? How do you like it?

I guess the biggest gas engine they put in them was the 3.2 I-6? 240 HP? I know that was the M3 engine back in the day.

Pre 2001 were 2.8 I-6, after 2001 there were 525i, 530 i and 540i. Best is 530i with M54 engine (525 has same engine just smaller displacement). It is bulletproof engine and as long as cooling system is refreshed it should be fine. Bolt on oil pump should be checked.
However, good luck finding E39 station wagon with stick in good condition. I have spent a year a a half trying to find good 2001 E90 with stick, and they are much more plentiful in the market.

Originally Posted by edyvw
The fiancee sent me a cell phone pic she shot of an older BMW 5-Series Wagon the other day. She knows I like stuff like that.

I asked her if she'd consider owning one instead of a boring SUV one day when we have kids. She said she would. A manual transmission would be a must for us.

I guess the biggest gas engine they put in them was the 3.2 I-6? 240 HP? I know that was the M3 engine back in the day.
2001 E90 with stick, and they are much more plentiful in the market.

2001 E90 eh?
06.gif

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted by edyvw

2001 E90 with stick, and they are much more plentiful in the market.

2001 E90 eh?
06.gif

LOL, 2011.

For me the sweet spot is a 530i Sport with three pedals.

That's what I have. It's my winter beater a this point. Still a decent ride, alas, now that these cars are nearly 20 years old, they require more and more work. Right now I have to take it to the shop to figure out where I'm loosing coolant and my oil leaks are getting worse. A lot of electronics/electrics no longer work, and I don't feel like dumping a ton of money into such an old car.

I suppose any 20-year-old car will require work. While I can put up with it, I would never buy a 20-year old car for my wife. I would never hear the end of it.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

For I6 engines you have the 2.5L (525), 2.8L (528) or 3.0L (530), Approx 189 ,200 and 225 hp respectively. 540 was of course the V8 and a rare bird.

Personally I would avoid it just due to it's age and the self-leveling air suspension.

Did all of them have the self-leveling air suspension? Or was that an option?

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
For me the sweet spot is a 530i Sport with three pedals.

That's what I have. It's my winter beater a this point. Still a decent ride, alas, now that these cars are nearly 20 years old, they require more and more work. Right now I have to take it to the shop to figure out where I'm loosing coolant and my oil leaks are getting worse. A lot of electronics/electrics no longer work, and I don't feel like dumping a ton of money into such an old car.

I suppose any 20-year-old car will require work. While I can put up with it, I would never buy a 20-year old car for my wife. I would never hear the end of it.

Maaaan, that's clean as a pin! Jealous!

I would love to own a euro wagon. I've considered the BMW, MB, Volvo, even the Saab. Alas, the potential for expen$ive repairs if it breaks keeps me away.
blush.gif

RWD, with the availability of a great engine (preferably I-6 of at least 3 liters displacement), manual transmission, good chassis, steering and handling, nice factory wheels, and good looks, are what attract me. Along with the cargo space you can't get with a traditional sedan with a trunk.

I would only consider one with a manual trans.

E39 wagons are quite rare and can require wagon only parts like air springs in the rear. I had a 2000 V8 model and it was really fun outside of the once a month something small breaking on it old BMW syndrome. I did the math and between the high fuel bill and the parts bill it was cheaper per month to buy a brand new Golf Sportwagen. Not RWD but its operating costs are dirt cheap. I'd totally buy another clean E39 V8 if i got the chance as a project/entertainment vehicle but not as a critical daily driver.

E39 was the last of the simple electronics. E60 and up all get ridiculous. You dont even want to know what repairing the power trunk lid system costs. Rear air springs are common, and the usual crap BMW electric water pump. Plus the horrible when new, terrible now I drive system that seems like its running Windows 95 on cold days. Older the better, especially if you can turn a wrench and know what to look for.

Originally Posted by Audios
E39 was the last of the simple electronics. E60 and up all get ridiculous. You dont even want to know what repairing the power trunk lid system costs. Rear air springs are common, and the usual crap BMW electric water pump. Plus the horrible when new, terrible now I drive system that seems like its running Windows 95 on cold days. Older the better, especially if you can turn a wrench and know what to look for.

My 2007 iDrive isn't the horrible monster it's made out to be. I like that it doesn't have any animation, and am comforted at how it reminds me of a 20 yo ATM. It's 13 years old and it boots up every day. Very, very slowly - but I'm not going to judge it. I actually kind of like it.

As far as e39s, I miss mine. Big, smooth, pretty easy to work on. I hated the logic of the 5hp19, but what a big, classy car.

I would rock a 535 wagon. CTS-V wagons are overrated, considerably more road noise than a sedan.

When iDrive was introduced it was the best system of that nature. Everyone else fallowed up and never caught up. To talk how iDrive was "bad" in 2004 vehicle, 16 years after is ridiculous.
Rear air springs are common on all Euro vehicles, and all have same aftermarket replacement venue: Arnott.

Originally Posted by antonmnster

My 2007 iDrive isn't the horrible monster it's made out to be. I like that it doesn't have any animation, and am comforted at how it reminds me of a 20 yo ATM. It's 13 years old and it boots up every day. Very, very slowly - but I'm not going to judge it. I actually kind of like it.

As far as e39s, I miss mine. Big, smooth, pretty easy to work on. I hated the logic of the 5hp19, but what a big, classy car.

You can replace hard drive on that iDrive with solid one, and it will be much, much faster. There is thread on bimmerfest forum how to replace it in E70 X5 pre-LCI.

RWD, with the availability of a great engine (preferably I-6 of at least 3 liters displacement), manual transmission, good chassis, steering and handling, nice factory wheels, and good looks, are what attract me. Along with the cargo space you can't get with a traditional sedan with a trunk.

I would only consider one with a manual trans.

Get E90 328I with stick. That is what I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back