Go outside!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it very strange that officials are suggesting that hiding in your house is safer than being outside in the sun and even closing trails and outside activities. While I get that close contact outside is still bad, the sun's UV rays kills viruses better than most commercial cleaners. We put UV light systems in our water treatment plants and in HVAC systems specifically to kill viruses. Flu season is called that because it happens during winter when people are in closer contact inside. Why closing hiking trails and outdoor activities? Am I missing something here?

Well the problem is that people probably still end up bunching up. I was driving yesterday and saw a bunch of runners but they were waiting for the light so they were all bunched up waiting for it to change so they could cross the street. Same with hiking. Normally with hiking, you get faster and slower people and eventually you get stuck behind some slower people if you're faster. It can stay airborne for 30 minutes so you're right there.

Also possible that you don't want officials dealing with the public. Some towns have stopped doing smoke inspections here as they don't want to risk the firefighters getting infected when meeting the public.

Agree about being outside and getting some exercise. We walk the dogs twice a day around the neighborhood and it's pretty easy to maintain distance. With some planning you can hike non-traditional places with little contact. Same with bike riding. I'm scouting places on googlemaps right now.

Thread lock coming, forbidden subject.

They've closed the beaches here in Pensacola, Florida. We don't get the hoards of spring break idiots like Ft. Lauderdale and Panama City. This is a family vacation destination. We have 26 miles of uninterrupted beaches and people have been spreading out and keeping their distance. With the surf up, kicking up salt spray, the breeze steady off the Gulf of Mexico, and plenty of sunshine, it makes no sense to keep people off the beach. Sunshine and salt air are not conducive to spreading a virus. Plus sunshine helps the body generate vitamin D which also helps fight viruses.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Agree about being outside and getting some exercise. We walk the dogs twice a day around the neighborhood and it's pretty easy to maintain distance. With some planning you can hike non-traditional places with little contact. Same with bike riding. I'm scouting places on googlemaps right now.

I don't get the thread locking. This is a General Off/Topic forum. What is the most general and off topic subject being discussed today? I get that this is an oil and lubrication forum. If the moderators don't want non oil topics discussed then get rid of the non oil related subforums.

Originally Posted by jhs914
Originally Posted by AZjeff

I don't get the thread locking. This is a General Off/Topic forum. What is the most general and off topic subject being discussed today? I get that this is an oil and lubrication forum. If the moderators don't want non oil topics discussed then get rid of the non oil related subforums.

Non oil topics are fine. That's why there is a general and off topic section.

However, you, and everyone else, agreed to topic restriction when you signed up for an account. Religion, sex, politics were specifically spelled out.

Folks, including you, forget that you agreed to terms that included the right of the site owner to prohibit other topics that caused controversy or bad behavior.

Please read this: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...1/policy-on-covid-19-threads#Post5377461

While getting outside is generally good advice, in this moment, you should follow guidance from your public officials.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back