Clay vs Metal Chiminea

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a clay chiminea, probably 4 years old. I am interested in the Blue Rooster chimineas. They have cast aluminum and cast iron models.
I put 4 inches of sand in mine before i ever used it, and i have no cracks, I need to repaint it.

But i am curious as to heat output of the clay vs metal. Our clay one does not really warm you on a chilly evening , unless you sit close and right in front of the mouth. Does a metal one radiate heat better than the clay?

Thanks.

Don't have either because I have a pit but I'd think that clay or metal, you're still gonna have problems because all that heat just goes up and out with zero retention. My fire pit doesn't keep me warm either unless you're practically right on top of it.

Last edited:
I've got clay...Steel/iron would be OK, but if people fall against it, they "stick", and flesh gets pulled off.

Al...knowing my luck would become a molten pool.

Had a nice clay one about 4-5' tall. Accidental bump while on mower and watched it slowly fall and become multiple pieces. No more clay for me.

I will probably repaint this one, and use it till fall.

IMG_20200320_195221344.jpg

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Don't have either because I have a pit but I'd think that clay or metal, you're still gonna have problems because all that heat just goes up and out with zero retention. My fire pit doesn't keep me warm either unless you're practically right on top of it.

Yep. You're going to need a big fire to put out a lot of heat when it's cold. My clay chiminea starts to put out a little heat after it's been going for a few hours and has a nice bed of coals. I'm a chiminea convert for our uses of mainly just having a fire on the patio. It uses much less wood than a pit and has very little smoke once it gets hot.

Originally Posted by hatt
. I'm a chiminea convert for our uses of mainly just having a fire on the patio. It uses much less wood than a pit and has very little smoke once it gets hot.

That's why i like them. No smoke moving around making people constantly move.

Too much white on our patio so I put an open pit next to the cook shed under a tin roof.
The Cajun wok sits on a cast iron base and FP grating in that to let air move ... so all in a fair amount of metal to heat up

58B0AFCD-9014-4D6E-9A76-CF58DBF90A87.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back