Hard vs Soft Clear Coat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Use it on bumper covers and plastic rocker moldings, it does increase flexibility but it shines slightly less and makes it harder to buff.
It had some benefit when used with cheap clears but high quality clears no longer require or need it.

Originally Posted by Trav
Use it on bumper covers and plastic rocker moldings, it does increase flexibility but it shines slightly less and makes it harder to buff.
It had some benefit when used with cheap clears but high quality clears no longer require or need it.

Thanks for reply.
Would you recommend mixing it with clear when coating plastic headlights ? (it is getting faded, and polishing it doesn't have long lasting effect.)

No, its not needed on rigid applications. A good 2K clear will last many years, I have some that I did 7 years ago and are still nice and clear.

Originally Posted by NICAT

Thanks for reply.
Would you recommend mixing it with clear when coating plastic headlights ? (it is getting faded, and polishing it doesn't have long lasting effect.)

No. Don't use it on headlights at all. Instead of clear coat, use a wax like cleaning sealant. It is much more work to strip a painted on clear coat off later to redo it, than to touch it up every now and then with a cleaner sealant. It does not need to be a product marketed for headlight use.

Originally Posted by Dave9
Originally Posted by NICAT

Thanks for reply.

No. Don't use it on headlights at all. Instead of clear coat, use a wax like cleaning sealant. It is much more work to strip a painted on clear coat off later to redo it, than to touch it up every now and then with a cleaner sealant. It does not need to be a product marketed for headlight use.

Thanks for the idea.
How about ceramic coatings ?
would they be effective too?

Nothing comes close to protecting and longevity like 2K clear, if you use a quality product it will last the life of the car. I use one from Nason which is the original Dupont (now Axalta) glamour clear formula without the original price tag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back